Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was parked on a steaped driveway I put it in park and it…

I was parked on...

I was parked on a steaped driveway I put it in park and it started rolling down the driveway and I had my friend in the truck with me. This is the second time this happens to me. I called nissan in Niagara falls and they have not returned my call. I have a 2015 frontier*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2015 frontier truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

3/9/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How steep of a driveway is this?

it was a little more than a regular driveway, nothing extravegeant
I am fine on email

Cause I have seen where if it's fairly steep, the park lock switch won't catch and it clicks and the vehicle can roll.

So what you would need to do if your on that steep of a hill, is apply the emergency brake before you put it in park, so if it starts to move, the emergency brake will only allow it to move slowly so it can catch the park lock.

That is what it seems like is happening it is not caching. After it happened I did put the emergency brake on
should I be concerned about this

This could happen if you park on a steep hill, that is why in the owners manual it always tells you to apply the emergency brake as well. So this way if the vehicle does start to move it will move slowly and will catch the park lock. If not applied, the vehicle could roll past it and it would just keep clicking and never lock which means it would allow the truck to roll.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Should I be concerned about this problem

No, all automatic transmission can have this issue depending on how steep the hill or driveway is.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
I understand what you are saying but I contacted Nissan in Stony creek and I am bringing my truck in so they can take a look at it. They want to make sure that it is engaging in park properly. Just to let you know that the first time this happened I was in the house for an hour and when I came out my truck rolled down to the end of the driveway and stopped just before going into the middle of the road and that is why this concerns me

Oh. I did not hear that. I was under the impression that when you park on a hill it rolls forward and won't engage in park. I mention the rapid clicking it would make if it bounced off the park lock. But yeah, I would want to check that out further if it all of a sudden came out of park like that...

I will let you know after I bring it in next week what they find if anything.

You got it...