Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced the transmission and now it will not shift. It is…

Customer Question
I replaced the transmission...

I replaced the transmission and now it will not shift

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It is a trans that I got from a salvage yard I thought the first one I got was bad would not shift took it back got this one same thing pulls in 1st and reverse will not shift

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2004 altima 2.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes changed trans twice

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Nissan Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 3 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Have you had the fault codes read out/checked at all with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

No codes the trans that was in the car stop pull went to salvage yard got one put it in pulled wouldn’t shift pulled it out got another same thing ?
No don’t need Call just need answer

No problem on the call.That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers as we can continue here.

Are the replacement transmissions acting up the same exact way as the original transmission you removed?

Does it not upshift from 1st gear at all?

the trans that was in the car when i got it would do nothing I am a pretty good machanic have never had this problem
will not shift

O.k.,my info is limited on this model with the transmission that is in it.

Unfortunately, this is all of the info I have for this here.I will open your question up for others here for others to see if they can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease. No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

These trans are known for issues, it could be you got another one with problems , is this a verified working trans from the junk yard?