Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key reprogrammed and car still won’t start. Brand new

Customer Question
Key reprogrammed and car...

Key reprogrammed and car still won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Brand new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

06 maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had key reprogrammed and still won’t crank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was told it could possibly be the ECU has been fried but not sure

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 5 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

If you turn the key to ON position and leave it, what lights STAY on the dash? do any?

Security light stays on

That would indicate a key recognition problem.

Does the a/c condensor fan at the front of the engine run also?

Ok, that indicates a major control unit failure.

it would have to be one of the control units that correspond with the key recognition, so that would be BCM or ECM

do your windows and locks and all that stuff work ok?

How would I know which one it is?

CAN diagnostics with a dealer scan tool will confirm which one is faults.

It does a two way test from each control unit to the ECM to determine which one is bad.

The key works car just won’t crank. Brand new battery and locks and windows work

How do you know the key "works"?

The immobiliser cuts injector pulse but won't effect the engine from cranking.

are you saying the engine won't even crank? meaning when turned to start it does absolutely nothing?

It tries to turn over but won’t start

it will never start with the security light on.

it will not get fuel, the injectors will not work.

Thats how the security system works.

replace ECU or BCM and car will start

yes, once you figure out which one is at fault you will have to replace it.

once you replace the BCM or ECM then the key will have to be re-programmed to the new module.

I just had the key reprogrammed

i know this, but they are programmed to the BCM and ECM, so if you have to REPLACE ONE it won't be programmed to both of them! it will be programmed to the one you took out which is useless.