Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

First my low gear and reverse gear went out after driving…

Customer Question
First my low gear...

First my low gear and reverse gear went out after driving awhile I now have reverse and the shifting is rough and will not shift in high gear. The codes po731 and po732 andpo744 show up. Help!¡!!

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

It's a 1999 Nissan Altima . No I haven't

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I rebuilt the engine...it has 80,000mi it ran good for 5,000 mi. Before tran. Started acting up. I hit a deep pot hole hard is when it all started to happen. I am trying to do it myself but know nothing about transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Nissan Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 month ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid. Also check the pan to see if you did any damage.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I changed the trans fluid when I rebuilt the engine approximately 5,000 mi.ago at first it started shifting rough into high gear it wasn't till I went into the pot hole ( hard) that the major problems arose. It would not go into high gear and reverse was gone. After putting a few mi.on trying to get it to shift I decided to put it in reverse step on the gas and let it slam into reverse. Now I have reverse and it feels normal but now it won't go into high gear or lock. There is no visual damage , what could have been jared by the pot hole to cause the reverse to go out ,but then "fix " itself? It seems like more than one problem.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you going to reply to my follow up question?

Sorry for the delay.Seeing that the problem began after the pot hole,and no physical damage was done, then I would be checking any and all connections electrically.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor