Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 nissan pathfinder not starting cranking have spark and…

Customer Question
1999 nissan pathfinder not starting...
1999 nissan pathfinder not starting cranking have spark and gas is coming.have injector pulse ,try look for the code with the scanner not communicating with the engine.it is communicating with other components
what would be the problem?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech replied 3 months ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

if there is no communication with the ecm then that is most likely the cause of the problem you should first check all fuses then if ok check for power and ground to the ecm ,if you have power and ground replace the ecm before you do that also check the idle air control valve under the throttle body sometimes they burn out and short the ecm out .

i checkrd the fuses all good
how to check the power and ground to the ecm

i​ will get you a wire diagram to help

still waiting for your response
i disconnect the ecm connector and i dont find any numbers.
i did check all the power and ground every thing good.what would be the problem
installed brandnew distributer
hello you there sir
Did you set the timing when you install the distributor and y did you replace the unit
because of it didnt start thought maybe the cam sensor and replaced the distributor

DID YOU TIME THE DISTRINUTOR ?

timing is good i pointed to the no 1 cylinder

yes but is it one number intake or exhaust ??

i am not sure can you tell me how to check pls

do you have spark now

and do you have a timing light ??

have spark and gas coming
i dont have the timing light

ok there is only two way to set the distributor if you line up the number one cylinder try this turn the crank last mark on the pulley then look to see if the distributor is at number if it is turn the crank again one complete turn line up last mark then remove the distributor and reinstall correctly . if it is not remove and install the unit again but do not turn the crank

ok i did the way you said and the car is now not just cranking like before now trying to start but not starting almost start but dont want to

sounds like the distributor timing is still off you need to get a timing light to check this

I removed the spark plug and put the piston to TDC and check the rotor timing was ok
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still need help with this issue?

Still I couldn't find the problem

So would you like me to help you with this to see if we can figure out a direction of repair?

hi sorry for the delay i am still struggling with this car can you help me please.

Do you have a Volt Meter?

Lets turn the key to the ON position, and with the volt meter, check voltage at each pin at the OBD2 port. You should see 3 pins with battery voltage.

Go through that and let me know what you find..

two pin giving battery voltage 11 something and one gives 4.5 volts
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 months ago

That is a sign of bad Ecm. What color wires are getting power?