Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Altima that was running perfectly then was…

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Altima that was running perfectly then was sitting for 3 years. Replaced the battery hoping that would solve the problem of not starting but it did not. The car has no power to anything, cannot even unlock the doors or the trunk.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only thing I have done is replace the battery and yes fixing myself I think maybe should check fuses next

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Do the interior and exterior lights work? If not, lets start by checking all fuses first.

Nothing works

If not, lets start by checking all fuses first.

the only thing that is lit up is the little car on the dash. It is red and shows the key in it.
Do I need to check all fuses to the car

YES, please start there. I suspect there is a bad connection at or after the battery, faulty ground or a blown fuse.

Please reply back with your findings.

OK, I will do that after work and let you know what I find out. Thank you

Sounds good your welcome

Ok, so all the fuses are good. The battery is good and is feeding power to the alternator. Still have no power to the car. BCM or ECM or maybe both?? I can tell you there has been some water in the car looks like from around the windshield and it’s damp under the dash so maybe that fried computers when a hot battery was connected? I don’t know just reaching for answers. What’s your thoughts.

Hello and thank you for that information. One thing you can do is check for power going to all fuses with the ignition turned on. I believe this vehicle has the push button start? If so, the steering column lock unit located under the dash on the drivers side on the column goes bad all of the time and prevents the engine from starting. This is very common on these vehicles.

But if your not getting power to the main fuses under the hood, you might have a faulty power distribution module provided the fuses are good, the cable and connection are all clean and tight. Just be sure all engine and frame grounds are good.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

The vehicle does not start
The fuses are all good but there is no power going to them
Where is the power distributor module located

That is the main fuse block that hold all of the fuses under the hood.

If you send me your engine size, I can send you a picture of this on your vehicle.

It’s a 2008 Altima SL 2.5L

But according to the factory wiring diagram, there are fusible links right off of the battery. You could have a blown fusible link as well. Look right at the positive battery post and look for fusible links that could be blown

already checked all those and they are good

So do you have power coming out of the fusible links?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Last week when we connected the battery that had been charging there was a humming sound andthe headlights worked. When a fully charged battery was connected the humming stopped and no headlights
there is power coming from there but no power to the fuses to the right of the battery in the black box

I can send over a phone call offer for as little as $10 bucks. I can speak on the phone right now

I am giving your information to someone later this afternoon. It really wouldn’t do any good to talk to me but maybe I can later when around someone that understands this better than me

To be honest, I am confident it will help out big time

I’m at work not with the car but I can have you call later when my nephew is around the car. I don’t know much about cars,

Most certainly. I can send over the offer now and you can accept it that way you have my phone number and can call me when your ready

That will be fine

Please accept my offer and my phone number will appear on the page.

When I accept it do we have to talk right now?

You can accept it now (otherwise it will expire) and call me when you have time to talk. This way you have my number and are able to make the call when your available.

YES, please accept the offer now.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC

Thank you for accepting my phone call offer. Please call me when you have time to chat. Please leave a message if for some reason I do not answer. I will get back to you ASAP