Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 pathfinder won't start security light stays on.No

2007 pathfinder won't start...

2007 pathfinder won't start security light stays on.No starter or fuel pump working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

Stays solid,did try to reset.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced lpdm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I did have transmission rebuilt because of water inside.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/5/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - I'm looking up some information for you now...

lpdm? I'm not quite sure what this is...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuse box

Has the truck been in a flood?

Sounds like the truck thinks you are trying to steal it... The question is why? This is a basic immobilizer system.

The immobilizer function of the NVIS (NATS) consists of the following:
- NATS ignition key
- NATS antenna amp. located in the ignition key cylinder
- Body control module (BCM)
- Engine control module (ECM)
- Security indicator

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was just driving the car one day and it shut off completely had it towed found out there was water in the transmission had that repaired and the vehicle still hasn't started since that time

Are you using the valet key?

Did your repair facility give you any indication as to why there was water in the transmission - seems a little odd to me...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I am not
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said that the radiator ruptured mixing transmission fluid and coolant that's where the water came from

OK.

Did the shop reinstall the transmission for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they did

There is a 40 amp fuse that is close to the battery. Have you had a look at it? The transmission control module also plays a part in the starting circuit. So, the transmission guys just said "We fixed your transmission, but the truck doesn't run... have a nice day???"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's exactly what he said because I brought it in there not running so I guess he figured I could take it out not running as well as long as he repaired the transmission

Oh...

Does the instrument cluster light up as per normal? What I'm trying to figure out here is if this is a theft deterrent issue, or something else. Given the truck stopped suddenly, I'm thinking something else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything in the dash lights up as normal the only thing I can see differently is the security light doesn't ever go out it does have a u1000 code and a fuel sensor a circuit code

Ok - so the U1000 is a communication code - there is a module that is offline. Faced with the same issue, I would need a good scan tool that could poll all the modules - a basic code reader won't do this - so that I could see which module is not responding. I'm going to put your question back out to the other experts to see if they have some DIY ideas for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks.
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

If the security light stays on solid with the key to ON position, then there is a key recognition issue.

when the key is in ON position does the radiator condensor fan come on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In answer to your first question no it does not I just noticed I also don't have any gear indicator light in the dashboard

The gear indicator light is based of the range switch position on the transmission. That won't cause a SOLID immobiliser light though.

What did the shop do to repair the cross contamination issue? Did they simply flush the system? or replace the transmission with a rebuilt unit or what?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the entire transmission was removed and gone through as far as the valve body they told me they sent it out to be repaired

so they sent the valve body with TCM out for repair?

The reason i ask is because you mentioned a U1000 also, generally when there is cross contamination the interior fuse panel A/T fuse blows because the water and coolant short out the TCM. I am hoping that fuse is not blowing again hence the reason the indicator is not showing.

Does the engine CRANK? JUST NOT START?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No crank or no start I don't hear the fuel pump engaging is well where is the interior transmission fuse located I only see the one under the hood on the ipdm

BECAUSE an immobilizer issue would still allow the engine to crank just fine. It would just never start.

If it's not even cranking then the BCM is not seeing the Park neutral switch from the transmission because the TCM is shorting out the A/T fuse at the interior fuse panel.

passengers side of the dash, open the passengers door and you will see it.

you will have to have the shop come back and get it if that fuse is blown, because the TCM is bad. Whoever they sent it out to did not repair the TCM

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would that also cause the fuel pump issue as well

yes, the fuel pump will not run if the engine is not cranking because teh crank sensor does not see an RPM signal which tells the pump to run.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I will check into it and let you know thanks for your help

your welcome.

I will leave the question open should you need more assistance, please just be sure to leave me a kind rating is all I ask.

thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have been very helpful Jake but the fuse was not blown so you need to tell me where do I go from here

well the fact there is a no crank condition and an issue with the gear indicator still points to the same reason it won't crank. (range switch) it just "may" not be because of a bad TCM thank goodness.

You need to inspect the range switch or (park position switch) on the side of the transmission. It may just have a bad connection so it can't see the park signal to start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This transmission doesn't have one on it
No, it has one sitting inside the transmission pan, but you need to look at the shift linkage and shift between park and neutral.
Do you have a SCAN TOOL?Can you look at the range switch and park neutral position switch position on your scanner?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm trying to find a scanner that will allow me to look at the PNP switch

k, let me know please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just checked that I do have a PNP signal
Ok, do you have a volt meter?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just had a locksmith leave trying to reprogram the key he says the BCM won't communicate it has code 1610 and 1612 along with the u1000 and the po462 what do you think I should do

well the combination of the U1000 and the NATS codes tells me hte BCM is probably bad. You will have to replace it.

The BCM is the same thing that tells the IPDM CPU to energize the starter relay when it sees the PARK signal.

i am happy to help all you need! Just be sure to leave me a rating since that's the only way the site credits me for my time.

I will make sure the question stays open for you.

Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician