Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Sorry to disturn I have a Maxima VQ25 engine. Its a manual…

Hello Pearl sorry to...

Hello Pearl sorry to disturn I have a Maxima VQ25 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Its a manual and 87250 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Maxima?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am having misfiring

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need to know if I use Batch firing order

3/5/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd begin by replacing the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug

You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light

http://www.noidlight.com/

Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Sir,thank you very much for the reply. However all these have been check and I even sprayed some Carburettor cleaner in the inlet but it still misfires. I wanted to know the sequence for a batch firing order on the VQ25 engine please
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For info, the engine is not starting as it is making backfire. I have tested the injectors and leaks and everything is ok. The only problem is coming from the Ignition
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sequential order for VQ25 is 1-2-3-4-5-6
What is the order for Batch???
Is it 1-4, 2-5, 3-6 ? Please provide assistance

Hello

One moment I'm looking it up

the batch firing is only applied to the injection system

see here for the cylinder numbering and an overview of how the system works

http://www.nialtima.com/intake_valve_timing_control-800.html

so when it 1st starts up it will be in batch fired injection and it fires LH bank and then RH bank so cylinders 1,3,5 and then 2,4,6 and alternate between the 2

once its started it switches over the sequential injection

however the ignition coils are individual so there's no wasted spark mode going on its always running the ignition in firing order

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear Sir,
Apologies for giving you trouble. Please note that I am using a stand alone ECU which I will make the following from the ECM output:
Injection 1 pin out- I'll connect Injectors 1,3,5
Injection 1 pin out- I'll connect Injectors 2,4,6
Ignition Coil 1 pin out - I'll connect Powerpack 1,3,5
Ignition Coil 2 pin out- I'll connect Powerpack 2.4,6
Would you mean that if I connect the ECU in batch, it would be able to start the engine please.
Thank you so much for your assistance again Sir.Regards
Mandeep

Hello

Ok batch fired ECU for the injection is fine it will run with no issues, you would use less fuel if its sync'd up and it'll be a little cleaner on the emissions but otherwise for a 1 off thats OK so nothing wrong with connecting up the fuel injectors as you describe

however I don't think you will able to use the same approach with the ignition

as you need to be able to fire the spark accurately for each cylinder

if your ECU only has 2 ignition drivers then you need to use a distributor or a Ford EDIS coil pack that had their own internal distribution that fired the coils in order

can you tell me what make ECU you're using?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for the clarification but unfortunately it does not help me.
I have 2 choices, HALTECH ECU or PERFECT POWER ECU. Both ECUs have 3 Ignition Outputs and 3 Injection Outputs.
Will you be able to tell me whether I can proceed with the following batch sequence:
1. Injection Output 1 - Cylinder 1 & 4
2. Injection Output 2 - Cylinder 2 & 5
3. Injection Output 3 - Cylinder 3 & 6
4. Ignition Output 4 - Cylinder 1 & 4
5. Ignition Output 5 - Cylinder 2 & 5
6. Ignition Output 6 - Cylinder 3 & 6
Please provide an assistance whether same will be able to start the engine or if you advice another sequence.
Thank you once again for the assistance.Kind regards
Mandeep

Hello Mandeep

OK as there's 3 ignition outputs then you 'may' be get it running by pairing up the cylinders as you've identified already

as 6 cylinders /720 degrees = firing interval of 120 degrees between cylinders so to get 360 between pairs you have got it right

however the Haltech will need setting in the software or code to fire the ignition twice within 1 cycle so I'd say its important to check the ECU documentation or with Haltech themselves that this is possible

otherwise you will need an ECU that can do this or one like a motec or Pectel SQ6 that has 6 ignition outputs

looking at Haltech's product range they offer several ECU's with 6 ignition outputs like the E750

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear Sir,Thank you very much for the response. Unfortunately I have only the 3 output ECU in hand. I will try the method you proposed ad will advise you shortly.Kind regards
Mandeep

understood

Matt, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear Sir,
Please note that engine has finally started and now I need to fine tune the ECU.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Mandeep
Matt, Engineer