Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Altima stop firing and starting after a head job. What…

2008 Altima stop firing and...
2008 Altima stop firing and starting after a head job. What can cause this
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
More than likely the timing chain is off.It’s not uncommon for people to start the engine after a head or timing job and forget to prime the tensioners by cranking the engine with the fuel pump fuse out. When they skip this step it can jump time on the initial start.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would this cause the engine not to fire at all?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me correct that. It has no spark. After the head was reinstalled. The engine start and turned it off but it won’t start any more. I checked for the coils and notice there were no firing. So I have no spark at the plugs
Correct, if the timing is off then the ECM cuts spark.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay so despite the fact that it started once before after the installation the timing may still be off?
Correct, usually you will notice when cranking the engine you get one small spark and then it quits.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. �� anyway to adjust timing without taking the engine back down?
Unfortunately, not on these engines, but you can usually confirm it easily by watching intake timing readings.
Obviously check the cam and crank sensor connectors before taking I down again. They can also cause no spark.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I placed the cam sensor inside of another vehicle and it start it. Took out the crank sensor and inspect for damages. The car was starting fine before head the head job. I’m guessing be it started and idle fine after the head job I ruled out the timing
Not if it only started 1 time.That’s generally when it jumps time because you didn’t prime the tensioners. It still will start the first time, but not after.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well technically it started twice. Once it start and immediately died and this morning I tried it again. It started I allowed it to run for 10seconds. I turned it off and that was the last time it started
Considering you verified the cam and cranks sensors also, not a lot of rabbit trails to chase here. Other then timing, cam/cranks sensors, and the ECM nothing else causes a no spark
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Crank sensor was not verified just visually inspected. I suspect it’s timing as the vehicle was starting fine prior to the head removal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I’ll go over the timing again
Usually when the cranks sensors fail you can still get it start with some cranking effort. You just can’t rev the engine up as it’s in limp mode when it does start.
I get it that no one wants to take the front cover back off because it’s sucks. I get that, but when the car starts fine prior to a head removal and then has no spark afterwards it’s hard not to see the obvious connection here.
With anything though that is so involved, it’s always worth at least double checking the cam and cranks sensors just in case a harness got pulled a connector was not fully seated etc.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I did check the harness for both sensors. I will go over the timing and get back to you
Sounds good
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey I should the timing all back together by tomorrow so I will see if it starts then
Great, thanks for the update
Make sure you pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for about 10-15 seconds to prime the tensioners before starting it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, will do. Fingers are crossed lol

no doubt!

Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey great news. It purrs like a kitten :)

Excellent, If you need anything in the future just Holler.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure will added you to my favorites

great

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician