Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Nissan Altima 2.5S 135,000 miles About a month ago

2011 Nissan Altima 2.5S...

2011 Nissan Altima 2.5S 135,000 milesAbout a month ago while accelerating from a stop the car started jerking badly as I pressed the accelerator to gain speed. I pulled over in a parking lot and tried to isolate the problem. While parked, the engine started and ran fine up to approximately 2500 RPM then a bad miss started and it was hard to get the RPMs above that. This occurred whether in Park, Drive or Reverse, moving or not, so I ruled out the transmission. After about 15 minutes the problem disappeared and the car had been fine, with lots of driving, until 3 days ago when it happened again. I drove it home keeping the RPM below 2500, parked it and the next morning the miss was gone and its run fine since.FYI, there is a Service Engine light on but it's for the Mass Air Flow sensor (Code P0101). I replaced the sensor shortly before the original occurence of this miss and reset the error code. The light came back on after about 300 miles.Your help with both issues would be appreciated. I'd like to avoid taking it to a mechanic if possible as money is very tight. Don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself. Replaced Mass Airflow sensor. Checked engine wiring for rodent damage.

3/4/2018
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Is the engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It came back on about 300 miles after I changed out the Mass Airflow sensor. I've tried resetting the code but each time it comes back on after 30-40 miles or so.

What code?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0101. Did they give you my full question?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There's no different code since I replaced the MAS. Still P0101.

Was it a factory or aftermarket sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
aftermarket

Your description sounds like a cvt transmission failure....but if you changed the mag. And are still getting the code you either bought a defective one or have a wiring issue to the sensor

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What makes you suspect the CVT transmission?

The jerking. That's usually what a bad Nissan cvt will do

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You must have not read my full question that I submitted. In it I said, "While parked, the engine started and ran fine up to approximately 2500RPM then a bad miss started and it was hard to get the RPMs above that. This occurred whether in Park, Drive or Reverse, moving or not, so I ruled out the transmission."

Well the jerking is what points that way...start with exchanging the maf... But jerking is not a sign of maf failure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the car was in park and the engine still missed above 2500 RPM how could it possibly be the transmission?

That's the rev limiter....

Fail safe to keep it from blowing up

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just did a quick lookup on the rev limiter to educate myself. Could this and the check engine light be related through the computer? I recall reading something about O2 sensors in connection with the P0101 diagnosis code and the page I just visited regarding the rev limiter also mentioned replacing an O2 sensor.
But why would it be intermittent?

Does not sound like o2. Get the maf warranted and see if it eliminate s the code

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you're saying the two are not related if I'm understanding you right. If that's the case is getting the rev limiter repaired a big deal?

Let's focus on the maf...does it have a warranty??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think so. Got it at AutoZone.

See if they will exchange it let's start with that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I'll take it back and exchange it.

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I do that. They seem to randomly connect you with experts.

This question will stay open...if u respond to this thread u get me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I've never used Just Answer before. How do I leave it open?

It's open....just respond back like you have been

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Thanks.

Your welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Disconnected the battery and shorted the +/- leads overnight. Replaced the MAF sensor with a new one. Cleared the fault in the ECU. The SES light came back on in about 20 miles.

And did you pull codes? Same code?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Same code P0101

Ok, the ecm needs to be reprogrammed for the MAF parameters. This is essentially a false code coming up due to an issue with the parameters in the ECM and will need to be reprogrammed with new software

Classification: 12-012F

Reference: NTB12-051F

Date: December 13, 2013

2011-2012 NISSAN; MIL "ON" WITH DTC P0101

This bulletin has been amended. The ECM P/N table in the SERVICE PROCEDURE has been updated. Please discard all previous versions of this bulletin.

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2011-2012 Altima Sedan (L32)
2011-2012 Altima Coupe (CL32)
2011-2012 Sentra (B16) with MR20DE engine only
2011-2012 Maxima (A35)
2011-2012 cube (Z12)
2011-2012 Pathfinder (R51) with VQ40DE engine only
2011-2012 Frontier (D40) with VQ40DE engine only
2011-2012 Xterra (N50)

IF YOU CONFIRM

^ The MIL is "ON" with DTC P0101 for Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) stored in the ECM.

AND

^ There are no drivability concerns.

ACTION

1. Reprogram the ECM.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please help me understand something I read on the internet last night. Here's the quote:"So I caled the dealer yesterday to ask a question about reseting the ECU and the tech told me that they could do it with the consult but you could get the same reset if you disconnect both batt terminals and then touch the two terminal ends together. He said that will drain the capasitors that hold the ECU memory. He also said that is should work for those times when you have to do the idle relearn."- Are ECU and ECM referring to the same thing?
- Is resetting the ECM and reprogramming the ECM the same process?
- I performed this process the night before I replaced the MAF sensor. If it's a valid procedure that this guy is talking about, should I have preformed it AFTER replacing the sensor?
That is correct or any scan tool will reset the computer
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy