Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Anybody there

hello anybody there...
hello anybody there
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey, what can I help with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a 1995 Nissan quest. I bought this van is a bad ignition switch. meaning you start the van and it turn over than the key seen very very loose. so when I try to turn the key it just spin like its not catching on anything. so I had to disconnect the battery cable to turn the car off. not when I start it back up and now when I disconnect the battery cable, positive and negative the car is running off the alternator. what is going on in the steer column. I need help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just type and tell me what to do please
Are you saying that when you turned the key to START. That the engine starts, but the starter won’t quit spinning?
you had to disconnect the battery?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am having a problem with the ignition switch. I was trying to tell you the whole story of whats going on with the van. again my van is having a problem with the switch. it was like this when I bought it last year. I bought the car for parts. now I need it to be my main car to drive.. but the switch is giving me a problem. what is going on is when you start the van. and want to turn it off, the switch will not shut down the engine. I use too just disconnect the battery cable. Now when I do that it stills running by the alternator. I believe something is going on with the switch or in the column.. hope you understand
the ignition switch needs replaced.Replace the electrical rear portion of the ignition ignition switch to correct the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nothing wrong with the starter sir... the problem is the switch or something in the steering column. the key is very very loose when you turn it, know clicks or know sound.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replace the switch and its doing the same thing.. it can't be the switch.. I believe that is only the cylinder..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you have to take the steering column down to get to it
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Here are the instructions on replacing the STEERING LOCK & IGNITION SWITCH.

No, the steering column does not have to come down.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Are you still wanting help with this?

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician