Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cluster lights not working after installing new stereo. tail…

Cluster lights not working...

Cluster lights not working after installing new stereo. tail lights work and fuses fine. Not sure what to do with the Blue/Red illumination wire as new stereo does not have a wire to connect it to

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

02 nissan frontier xe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just check fuses and bulbs

3/3/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! Can you send some very clear spread out pictures of your harness to harness connections and ill see if I can find out why its not working

text or upload the pic?

up load it to here there should be a paper clip or add flies icon

Stereo works fine, to clarify. when I plugged in

you didnt get the aftermarket vehicle harness did you?

no

ok this is going to take a min, just for future reference ALWAYS GET THE HARNESS

ok cap both of those off individually and check fuses 11 and 28 in the interior fuse panel

just a min...
I'm afraid I don't see a numbering diagram in the manual. can you tell me which ones to check? Elec Acc ? etc
I just checked every fuse on the interior. No blown fuses.

that should just be a power feed to the radio for the lights, and not effect the cluster, do you have power and ground on those 2 wires?

I have nothing connected Blue/Red Pink/Black wires that you see exposed.
The wiring harness (black) is grounded to the chasis
Should I connect the illumination Blue/red to the 12v accessory?
I have nothing connected <to the> Blue/Red Pink/Black wires that you see exposed.

dont connect it to anything, can you check both wires to see if they have power or ground?

give me a few mins..
With the headlights on, I get roughly 12v from both wires. Nothing with headlights off.

this is a good one, im out of idea ill open this back up t see if someone else has a different opinion

what if I ground the Illumination wire?
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your questionDid you connect the illumination wires up when you installed the after market tadio?
The after market harness -the wiring that came with the stereo, doesn't have "illumination" wires to connect to.
However I did end up grounding the pink/black wire coming from the dimmer switch and now I was able to get the dash lights to come on with the headlights. But can't dim -got that solution from a nissan forum who came up with the same result.
I'm glad to speedometer lights back, but any idea what the blue/red wire does and if grounded would able the dimmer to work?
Did you cap off the illumination wires from the factory harness?
blue/red wire is capped.
What about the pink wire with the black stripe?
I grounded the pink/black stripe wire from the factory harness to the chassis which did enable the cluster lights to come on with the headlights. However it doesn't dim -I'm assuming the cluster lights at full brightness.
The blue/red wire from the factory remains capped.
From earlier, Mechanic01 before you jumped on, had me test both these wires for power and confirmed that they both did show 12v when the headlights are turned on.
That still leaves me with the question of is the blue/red wire for the dimmer and if I should ground that one as well?
That pink and black should also be capped. That is also a illumination wire
Ok but that would bring me back to my initial problem of no cluster lights.
The aftermarket harness that came with the unit provides no illumination/dimmer wires. The dimmer option is built in the unit, Kenwood KDC-BT31. Wiring diagram pic provided.
How would I connect it to get the cluster lights to come on?
If you can, tell me the wire colors of the factory harness and what you connected them to on your radio harness. Also cap off the pink / black wire.
As the stereo works great, should be wired correctly:
Factory Aftermarket
12v constant Red/yellow - Yellow
12v accessory Green/Red - Red
LF+ Blue/silver dots - White
LF- Black/white - Black/white
RF+ Brown/silver dots - Gray
RF- Black/red - Gray/black
LR+ Light green - Green
LR- Black/yellow - Green/black
RR+ Orange - Purple
RR- Black/pink stripe - Purple/blackJust got done capping the the pink/black wire, no dash lights. I grounded the wire and the dash lights came back.
I capped it back for the moment...
The stereo Black is also grounded the chassis
Try capping the two illumination wires together
Earlier i tried grounding the blue/red to see what happens, blew the tail light fuse when turned on the headlights. I'm guessing wiring it together with the pink/black would get the same result.Hey I appreciate your help and looking in to this, and since I've been at this all weekend I've got to call it quits. Since I get the dash lights on with the pink/black grounded, good enough for me.
Thx
You got it.
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!