Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought this car yesterday. I had the motor oil

I just bought this...

I just bought this car yesterday. I had the motor oil changed on it including spark plugs filter etc. And when I start i turned it on out of the blue the car didn’t go reverse or drive. So I check the transmission oil and happened that it didn’t have any oil so I added oil and got it to move but for some reason the drive gear seems funny

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

I haven’t but it’s new oil because it’s been 5 hours since I put it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Nissan Altima 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I’ve tried was adding transmission oil and Lucas because it didn’t have a single drop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to know why is the drive gear not engaging

3/3/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

How much oil was needed to get the transaxle to the correct level?

Well it was empty of transmission oil it didn’t have any
I only put 2 quarts

It holds 9.5 qts, so it was just low.

Can you see a visible leak under the car?

Can you go into more detail on drive is funny?

It drives but once I shift in D gear it seems like it jerks

Is it just jerking when engaging D or is it jerking through each upshift in drive?

How I said I got this car yesterday and did motor oil change on it and I Santes to drive it didn’t engaged any gear so I checked the transmission oil and it didn’t have a single drop so I added 2 quarts and I got it to drive but for some reason the D gear seems not engaging well
Only in D

Thanks, ***** ***** in drive are there any concerns with 1st. 2nd, 3rd, or 4th?

Once in Drive it jerks to 1st and then rest are ok but if I come to a complete stop and drive 1st it jerks
Could be that it’s low on transmission fluid and needs more?

Thanks, ***** ***** check the trans oil level at operating temp in park on level ground to see if the fluid is up to the max fill line?

No I haven’t honestly!
How I said I only added 2 quarts of oil and that was it.
Does it have to be on max fill line?

Possible causes for these issues would be:

• APP or TP sensor reading incorrect
  • Incorrect transaxle line pressure
  • Valve body issue
  • Torn seal or broken spring on the N-D accumulator
  • Accumulator servo release failure.

A trans tech would need to go into the transaxle and check these things.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

You have the same question open twice. I sent the same answer on both. Why would you rate me good on one post and bad on the other?

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician