Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 that needs a new oil pump I…

I have a Nissan...

I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 that needs a new oil pump I think

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Last Week

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Removed Oil Pan and cleaned it out. Cleaned oil pump feeder tube as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My Pathfinder has low pressure at idle, but doesn't run rough or get hot. YES i already replaced the sensor

3/3/2018
Pete, Mechanic

How many miles on the engine?

137300

The mileage is not high on your truck. When you removed the oil pan did you check the main or rod bearings? How long have you owned the truck? Do you know the maintanance history?

Have owned it a month. It’s a really clean well kept Pathfinder. Doesn’t over heat just when rpms are(###) ###-####the oil pressure drops and the oil light comes on. No weird sounds
When I run the pathfinder up the rpms everything goes back to normal and pressure reads as steady in the middle of the gauge
I didn’t inspect the rod when oil pan was removed

When the engine is cold is the pressure low or does it drop when the engine warms up? What weight oil are you using?

When the engine is cold the pressure is normal. Middle of gauge. It drops after the engine warms up BUT ONLY in idle at a stop. 5w 30 high mileage

Ok, your oil pump is doing its job. You are losing oil pressure internally. The main bearings are usually the problem. You won"t get noise and the engine will run ok. Usually if the rod or camshaft bearings are worn you will hear a rattle or knock from the engine. . If you pull the oil pan off again you can check the main and rod bearings. If they are worn you can replace them without taking the engine apart. You will have to pull the valve covers to check the cam bearings. Another option is to use a heavier grade oil, but that is just a bandaid.

How thick of oil can I use?

I would try 10-40 first. If that dosn"t help you can go 20-50. I have used 20-50 in the past but you don't want to use it if it gets below freezing outside.

Ok I will try that and hopefully I can get the bearings replaced

Ok good luck with it.

Ok thanks Pete

ok

.

Pete, Mechanic