Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Nissan Altima won't turn off. 2015. I was just driving,

My Nissan Altima won't...

My Nissan Altima won't turn off

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Altima?

2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was just driving, parked the car to have dinner with my sister and turned it off. I was going to move the pa

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car to another parking space turned it all, then the check engine light went on, brake, sway, all the lights turned on and the on/off won't turn off the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stay on

2/25/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I can explain how to get the car off, once you get the car off, there is a possibly it may not restart. But there is a chance it will.

I have seen BCM's fail and cause this. But I have also seen where it's simply a software glitch that after we get the car turned off, we do a hard reset and it returns back to normal operation. I just have to let you know it can go one of two ways.

Do you want to attempt to shut it down and do the hard reset? You will only need a 10 mm wrench to remove the negative battery cable to do the hard reset after we stall out the car.

Let me know..

I can't right now until I get home in about 3 hours. Can you give me a step by step on how to do a hard reset
Sorry I can't talk on the phone right now, only text sorry, prefer text yo look back at the steps

Yes.. First thing you are going to need to do when you get home is stall the car out. To do this I remove the Fuel Pump Fuse. It will run till it stalls out. Once it stalls out. Then you disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. While you have it disconnected, you can put the fuel pump fuse back in. After 15 mins have past, then connect the negative battery cable and see if the car starts right up and then see if it turns off and returns to normal operation.

If it does, that is all you needed to do. If the car does not start back up, then you are most likely looking at a BCM issue.

What does BCM stand for, and does this happen to 2013-2015 altimas a lot ??

I have seen it from 07 models to date. It's not common, but I have seen it.

BCM ( Body Control Module )

Ok, I try stalling out the car as soon as I get home. Thanks

'your welcome..

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician