Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE when I first start it it revs…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE when I first start it it revs fine once it gets to normal operating temperature it will not rev over 2700 rpms like it has a rev limiter. The Nissan dealership has worked on my car for over 40 hours and I have spent over $1500 what could be the culprit please help

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No corrosion every thing is fine there

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked the catalytic converter checked all fuses in the whole car checked all relays made sure all connections were connected

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I started to fix it myself but there are some things that I can't do because I don't have the software to work on my car. The ECM WAS replaced the throttle body was replaced Nissan dealership put them in and did what they had to do to make the ecm work for my car they did the relearn process something is going on and I need to get this fixed asap

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/19/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Hey Mike my name is ***** ***** man I have tried everything to get this problem fixed
I can't call right now I need you to either send me the info via email or text

This is usually caused by a bad mass air flow sensor. When the computer can't get enough fuel to the engine to match the readings from the maf sensor, it will cut the fuel supply at 2700 rpms. This will act just like a rev limiter, it will cut at 2700 then drop down and rev back up to 2700 rpms.

It would seem to me the Nissan dealer would know this and should be able to resolve it for you.

If the sensor has been replaced with an aftermarket sensor, you could still have the same issue. I personally experienced this with my own Maxi, but also when working at the dealership replaced a lot of aftermarket sensors with the factory sensor to solve the issue.

There is also an update for the computer for the maf sensor on this model year so make sure they have done that as well.

I might be telling you stuff they have already done, but maybe not. If the sensor has been replaced with a factory part, then there could be a wiring issue.

I believe the updated the ecm with the proper updates it could be the maf just because it's brand new doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with it I will change that later today and see if that is the problem could I try cleaning it first or just up and replace it
Besides the maf and the wiring could there be anything else that could cause the problem I want to exhaust all options with this thank you

You could try cleaning it, but I personally never had any luck with that.

Also, I know it's expensive, but make sure to use one from the dealer OR a used factory maf off Ebay or something.

On my Maxima I finally went with a used one off Ebay because the factory replacement was $600

I really know of nothing else that would cause this if the converters aren't plugged up to be honest. I assume the computer is good because it's been replaced.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

Thank you so much I will order one how would I be able to tell if it is a factory maf if I were to go to the junk yard is their something specific on the maf that would let me know that it is a factory maf

Sorry to say there isn't a way to be sure. The aftermarket are rebuilds so they look just like the real thing. If you get it from a pick and pull then there's a good chance of it being factory or at least that it was working in the car it comes out of.

You will also want to disconnect the battery for about an hour to clear the old fuel trims when you replace it.

Thank you so much that helped me so much I really hope this is the problem and it not be a pigtail or any other electrical problem if I have any more questions I will be sure to message you how long will you be online today

I will be off this morning but I am usually back on by 2 on mondays until 7 pm

You are very welcome!
Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
I will be sure to rate you 5 stars your information was very helpful

Thank you, ***** ***** it!

If you post here, I will get it when I am back online if you need more help.

Well I did what you told me to do and I still have the same problem now there is a p403 code the egr that should have nothing to do with that correct
That egr was just replaced too

I see that you refunded so we are done here. Sorry the maf didn't resolve the issue and I can't be sure why you suddenly have an egr code.