Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Vehicle won't turn over. Nissan Murano 2007. Battery was…

Customer Question
Vehicle won't turn over ...

Vehicle won't turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Nissan Murano 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Battery was tested and it's fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Just in case tried to jump it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
2/16/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello,let me review your request. Please stand by.

Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Do you hear any click or ticking noise when you try to start?

first this may sound weird, I tried to start Murano but didn't turn key quite long enough so didn't started. Waited a second and tried it and nothing. Full lights and radio but doesn't turn over at all
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Do you see the antitheft or security light flash on the dash when you try to start?

I know battery good, it's new. So tested it, and it's fine. Tried jump start just in case. Still doesn't turn over. Checked alternator with stanley fatmax and said it's fine. But when used Stanley fatmax on battery showed error (Not because on wrong terminals)
It is not. I checked that. Also unplugged battery for over 10 minutes to try that
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Have you checked the starter?

Also back to beginning. When first tried to start it and didn't turn key long enough it cranked over fine. Then after, nothing
I was wondering if it was relay switch. But didn't know good way to test it. Replaced it with suppose to be same one from O'Reilly's but still nothing
I didn't know good way to check starter
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Do you hear the starter relay click when you try to start?

It clicks. I put hand on it and felt it as someone tried too start vehicle
My dad didn't know if there is some type of system reset on Nissan Murano?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

If the relay clicks that means the signal is present from the ignition switch. Need to check if signal present at the starter when the relay clicks. If signal is present and no starter operation that means the starter is faulty.

What is good way to check that?
I never had a problem before, would me not turning key long enough ruin that?
If no signal present what is next step?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Two ways to check a starter is by checking if signal present from relay. If signal present and no start taht means the starter is faulty.

another way to check is by manually supplying 12 volts to the starter and see if it engages. If no then the starter is faulty.

Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Since the realy clicks, if there is no signal at the starter then the problem is the wiring from the relay to starter.

then wiring need replaced or is there a fuse to be replaced?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

The fuse comes before the relay. Since the relay clicks that means the fuse is good.

Are you still on here for me to check quick?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes, im online.

Is it possible to test the starter with tearing a bunch of stuff apart?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

The battery bracket and intake inlet hose will need to be removed to test the starter.

Any idea what that means. From the Stanley Fatmax 1000a
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Is that signal present when you try to start?

Trying to get to it
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Sometimes trying to start and hitting the starter with a prybar or hammer can engage the starter.

Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Hello, just checking if any updates?