Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Door locks on bot driver side doors are locked but doors are…

Door locks on bot...

Door locks on bot driver side doors are locked but doors are open, can't v

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

Cant close the doors

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2008 pathfinder 60,00 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't. Have the skills or apace to work on it myself, it is winter weather here.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, why are you offering to help via this message pop-up?Will there be a charge for discussions?

1/24/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

When you close the door from the outside, will they push all the way uptight or does it stop about 3/4 inch shy like it is hitting metal to metal?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Stops shy like it hitting the metal. Front driver side door is interimittent, therefore driver must crawl in throu passenger side door to enter the the to drive...and now the rear passenger diver side door has locked but won't open, there that door can't be closed and it's raining.

Look into the door latch on the doors to see if the jaws are open and able to accept the striker on the body or closed like is already grabbing the striker. If closed then use a screwdriver to pull the jaws open while pulling the door handle. If the jaws are open but will not close on the striker then the latch is faulty needing to be replaced or there is ice frozen in it. Try some heat or lubricating spray into the latch to see if it will free up and work again.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I see that Internet shows this to be common problem with Nissan door lock. Please what the proper fix is, I don't want to have a Nissan shop replace All door parts because it is very unlikely for multiple doors to fail at same time due to individual door parts failing.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The jaws on the back door are closed, I could maybe pry it open as you suggest, as we did on the front door, but this does not really fix the problem. It will just happen again. I am not satisfied with the response because I think Nissan must be ware of this problem. So I want to know what the root problem is before I take it to a Nissan dealer. You see, I don,t just want to throw money and new parts at this as others have until I know what Nissan knows to be the root of this common problem.

The issue is caused by rainwater getting into the door latch by the seal on the window. This water causes teh latch to rust and to freeze. The fix it to soak the latch with lubricating oil about every 3 months and the concern rarely ever returns.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
By "door latch", do you mean the part that you place your hand on to pull on to open the door?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
do you mean it is rusty under the door latch that you grasp to open the door from outside the car?

The door latch is inside the door, the handle is the part you are referring to.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I think you must mean the latch on the side of the door, the part that has the jaws... So I need to heat and soak that with oil? Do I just heat (maybe a hair dryer) and spray some oil into the latch jaws area from outside the car, no need to dissemble anything, is this what you mean?

If it is frozen it may need some like from a dryer.

If it is not frozen and not already damaged then some spray oil will help and or prevent this on a replacement latch if properly maintained. No disassembly if you can get yours to work.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The picture helped, thank you. We have not damaged the latch, we realize forcing it could damage it. So are you say regular lubrication and heat normally fix this problem?

Heat this time if needed, then regular lube and it should no longer need heat.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
This makes sense to me. I am satisfied with your answer to describe the common root cause for me ( water entering via window seal, causing rust, possible complicated by ice), and satisfied by your short term fix ( heat and spray oil), and satisfied by your long term fix of regular lubrication.

Glad I could help. Thanks for rating my response.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you...well done. I will try these things.

You are welcome

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician