Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Jumper cables got crossed when jump starting 2001 Frontier…

Jumper cables got crossed...

Jumper cables got crossed when jump starting 2001 Frontier 3.3l. Now it will crank over but will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Can here the fuel pump but looks like theres no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuses under hood all OK, Sprayed some starting flued in breather, still no start, checked plug wire for spark and no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thjats about it

1/24/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This almost always means you have a blown fuse. Check the 40 amp fuse in location E which powers the ignition coil. Here is a diagram to locate fuse E. Let me know, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjyx8te15gbsnm4/fl1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc4d9dmkijz9frm/fl2.pdf?dl=0

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My bad I have spark but very week fuel flow. it starts then stops. My next step is to check the filter.

Spark must not be good enough if it didn't run on starting fluid. Does black/white wire going to distributor show at least 11v while trying to start?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
At work agaim will try your suggestion tomorrow and let u know

Sounds good, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi Dan the blk and wht wire to dist. Reads 2.2 v when cranking

That is way too low. Voltage on that wires comes from fuse E, check to see how many volts are on fuse E while trying to start.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I put a spark tester on a plug wire and the spark is a nice bright white tho.
I also disconnected the fuel line for the r fuel rail and turned ign. On it pumped very little and seemed to stop. Will check v at fuse e tomorrow thanks

Also check to see if it runs on starting fluid.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Just noticed the wire that i thought was blk wht is actually blk yellow (dirty looked white untill got better light on it) i searched for a blk wht and there isnt one theres blk pink, green, purple and blk yellow. Going to the distributor. According to my haynes manual there is a blk wht wire going to the coil. Is that the one you ment?

Sorry, yes I meant the coil. Let me know, thanks.

Also let me know if it runs on starting fluid, try agian.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Will do tomorrow when im back at it. Thanks

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi Dan ok heres dome values
Battery before cranking eng. 12.55v
Cranking eng 10.3
Fuse e before cranking 12.4
Cranking 10.29
White & BLK wire b4 condenser
B4 crank 12.2
Cranking 9.6
Wht& blk wire after condenser 12.36
Cranking 9.5
Tried starter fluid thru vac port in intake and it tried to start but still no start. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks Bill

When you say tried to start does that mean it did start but didn't continue to run?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No it tried to cough a couple times but that was about it

Strange, have you tried to connect a scan tool to check diagnostic codes yet?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No since the battery was dead i figured the codes would be erased.
Ok did scan and no codes stored

I just wanted to make sure scan tool was at least able to communicate. The fact it coughed a few times when trying to start usually means timing is off. Have you replaced any components since this all started?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No i havent replaced any thong yet. Now thid truck has a blowen headgasket. I just did a compression test . Right head #1 170, #2 110, #3 130. Left head 175 and 190 havent done the last on. Now from my experiance even tho compression is low on r head it should still run althou not that goog. I tested the each plug and they arnt that good. Some bright spark then gets week the others are a week spark. Ive been thinking maybe the belt jumped thus bad timing. But need someone to turn key so can line things up so will do that when someone else is free. Mean while ill get a new set of plugs (got to anyway when do headgasket) and try them.

I think your plan of action is good, maybe add a fuel pressure test in there. If spark is good then problem has to be timing or lack of fuel. But if fuel was problem then it should run on starting fluid so spark plugs and checking timing are probably the best places to go from here. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Will do thanks

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok Dan checked timing its all ok, checked fuel pressure 40psi IO EO held steddy at 40 psi after 20min. Dropped to 30 with ign off. Put new rotor cap and wires on still no start. So sprayed way more starting fluid in it than I was comfortable with........ and it STARTED !!!! untill spray burnt off so got fuel problem. I got pressure but eng not getting fuel. I also put a new fuel filter in it. So im stumped again

Good to hear, at least now we know problem is fuel related. Check 10 amp fuse in location 3, let me know if its good. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Where is location 3 i can nolonger open the pdfs you sent me in the begining showing the fuse locations
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Inj fuse under dash (3rd one down on l/ side is good

This fuse would be under hood, I cannot find a good diagram. If you have owners manual it should be in there. It is fuse for injectors.

never mind, you were right...it is on interior but I still cannot find a diagram. Unplug a injector and check to see if the black/red wire has power with key on. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
R/blk injector wire has power

Check to see if the other wire has pulse, it should flash ground off/on while trying to start.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Will do but it will have to b tomorrow now. So will get back to u . Many thanks Bill

No problem, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Couldnt wait the other injector wire pulses when cranking eng over but about half the time the test light pulses but never goes right out then on again and half the time it goes off on. Hope that makes sence

Can you make a video?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ahhhh ill try but will have to b tomorrow. I think i know how

Did it seem to run good on starting fluid?

Well send me a video and we will go from there, if injector pulse is flashing erratically you may have fried the ECM.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Will do

I'll talk to you then.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hi Dan trying to send video but having trouble adding file. Will get so kid to show me how. Lol

Or upload video to a different website such as youtube then send me link.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Mornin Dan heres a link to you tube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s96_DjwJVTU. Hope this works. Let me know. Thanks Bill

Are you checking power or ground at injector? The brown/red wire should have power any time key is on and other wire should pulsate ground off/on. Based on way testlight looked it seems like you had light on the power wire instead of ground.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Double checked and the test light is back pinned on the white with blk stripe wire off of #1 injector

That would be the correct wire, at this point I think your ECM needs to be replaced. I'm going to open question back up to see if someone may have a suggestion I've missed since ECM isn't a cheap part. If no one replies I'd go ahead and continue with ECM replacement.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
What do i need to know in regards ***** ***** a used ecm?

It will work but will need to be reprogrammed by dealer or someone with capable scantool.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Will do thank you
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Looks like i will need to get an ECM and have it reflashed. So thats my next project. Dan was very helpfull. Thanks to you all
Your welcome, but I can provided a Ecm terminal reference chart for you to verify if you need a Ecm if you would like that?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
please
Ok.. I am on my way home, I will provide that to you when I get home.. Ok?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Thanks

Of course you always want to check fuses first with a test light. But that is the Ecm terminal Reference chart so you can verify the Ecm, if that is your issue.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Thank you

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Dan, Technician