Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Brake pedal hard to depress and engine will not crank when…

Brake pedal hard to...

Brake pedal hard to depress and engine will not crank when push to start button is depressed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes the car has fuel and the starter does not engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2012 Altima sl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried resetting the brake sensor by removing it and replacing it. also charging to battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was taken in for a emissions test immediately before the issue occurred. they plug into the fuse box and cycle through the start button modes.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The brake pedal will get hard if it is presses more than one time when the vehicle is off. That is normal. Does the ignition turn on and the car does nothing?

Is the steering wheel locked? Did you insert the remote into the remote slot and see if that works?

initially when the button was pushed, I heard clicking sounds but the starter did not engage.
now the shifter is locked and pushing the button does nothing. it stays in the locked position. I have the charger on the battery in case the battery was weak. but that was no help.

If you were getting a single click, that is a sign of a bad starter. But now I wonder if the steering lock system is causing the lock out. Did you try jump starting the car to see if you can get the ignition to come on?

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Phone call session started
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician