Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 Nissan Versa Note idles normally but dies when placed…

2015 Nissan Versa Note...

2015 Nissan Versa Note idles normally but dies when placed into gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

75000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would prefer to fix myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have only tried putting antifreeze for fuel in tank

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Is the check engine light on now by chance when it's idling? and have you replaced any parts yet trying to fix it? thank you.

no engine codes generated and no check engine light has come on

Alright, can you even drive the vehicle, or does it shut off immediately when you put it in gear?

I have not replaced any parts. I have only put fuel antifreeze in the tank

Alright, I understand.

idles fine... but dies immediately when placed in gear
I haven't replaced any parts

Alright, can you even drive it, or you can't even drive it?

Are you still working on my question?

I'm still here yes, I asked if you could drive it or not, I'm thinking the torque converter may be locked. If your on level ground or slightly downhill, does it seem like the car pulls forward any when you put it in drive?

cannot drive vehicle. It idles fine... but dies immediately when placed in drive or reverse
On level ground or slightly downhill, does it seem like the car pulls forward any when put in drive? No pulling at all.

Alright, I'm surprised it not setting a code for anything, try this, put the front wheels up in the air, jack the front wheels up, and start the vehicle in neutral, then shift it into drive without putting your foot on the brake, I"m thinking the torque converter is locked up, because it should set a code for something if it isn't locked up. Does it idle fine and run fine in park?

it idles and runs fine in park
torque converter is locked up? does that require a mechanic? Do you have any other theory about what the problem might be?

The transmission would have to come out to repair it. Other than the fuel pressure being really low, but it would really run bad in my opinion in park if the fuel pressure was too low and it would set off the check engine light usually.

Okay. Thank you.

it dies it reverse or forward correct?

If you could get the front wheels up off the ground, and start it in neutral, and then put it in gear without putting your foot on the brake just from nuetral into drive, and if it still stalled without the front wheels turning at all, that would disprove my torque converter being locked up theory.

it dies in both reverse and forward

Alright, It's possible fuel pressure is too low, but that wouldn't be my first theory if it runs fine in park, I would have to check codes and fuel pressure and get it on the lift and check the wiring harnesses in the engine out. That will be the first things that need to be checked in order to diagnose it properly. But I do feel strongly it could be transmission related, and likely the torque converter is locked up. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician