Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Check engine light and traction control light is on and it…

Check engine light and...

Check engine light and traction control light is on and it has reduced power. It was driving fine then these lights when on and now it will barely move.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2013 Sentra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet. I can't even get it out of the driveway to go anywhere with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

1/22/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Both of these lights will come on when the engine computer detects a fault with a component that will affect driving the vehicle.It puts the vehicle into a fail-safe mode, unfortunately.In some cases, this is the throttle body or throttle body electronics at fault on the engine.

What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible can tool that can plug into your vehicle and that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.This is the only way to know what code is set as well as what needs to be diagnosed and repaired or replaced.

In some cases, you can cycle the engine off and back on a few times and it may reset to where you can drive it temporarily to be looked into.But in other cases, if the fault is repeatedly detected it will not reset and the codes will need to diagnose the way it is which may involve having it diagnosed and repaired where it is at by a mobile mechanic or towed to a shop or dealer to be diagnosed and repaired, unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It won't reset. I have no power. I can't even get it up a very slight incline. Are things like this ever covered by a warranty?

Unfortunately, I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can, however, continue here.

If the vehicle is still under a powertrain warranty then it would still be covered under warranty.You can call a dealer and they can tell you for sure if your vehicle is still under warranty.If it is they may also pay to have it towed to the dealer to be diagnosed and repaired.But unfortunately, if it is not you would have to pay to have it towed to a dealer or shop to then be diagnosed and repaired since the reset did not work.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks for your help Pete. I'll try to get in touch with a local dealer now. ~ Sarah

Your welcome Sarah

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
3pac2222
3pac2222, nissan master auto tech
Phone call session started
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician