Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2004 nissan quest. Rear ended by teenage girl on phone. Rear…

2004 nissan quest. Rear ended...
2004 nissan quest. Rear ended by teenage girl on phone. Rear bumper cover and crush beam were replaced. I had one sonar sensor, that popped inside of the rear bumper cover. Sonar system has always worked well until now. Body shop put in a new sensor, but didn't check out if it worked or not. I have complete service manual, and fault codes point to all four sensors, as failed. I smell a skunk in the works.... I checked out all grounds and power from the sonar control unit down to plug B47. All check out good I'm thinking that I must now drop the bumper cover, and check each sensor. Is there a way to check for am ohm reading to each sensor, without puling the bumper cover? Thankyou
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

You mentioned you had a code, do you know that code?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago

Fault codes are : 11, 12, 13, and 14.

The diag steps for these codes states to unplug all 4 sensors and the sonar control unit. Then ohm test the wires from the sensors to the unit to check for breaks. Then ohm test each wire to battery power and ground to confirm the sensor wiring is not chaffed and touch other wires or the chassis. Then ohm test the wires to each other to confirm none are chaffed and touching each other.

Here is the wire diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqk4it80i25z8cu/sonar.png?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 28 days ago

Is there a way to test each sensor, (open/short), if I disconnect plug B47? at bottom of the bumper left quarter panel. Thankx. Everything checks good down to that point. I am trying hard to not have to remove the bumper .

You can try it that way but if all tests pass, it states to replace the sensors. I would hate for you to get incorrect results and a replace sensors and its a wire issue from B47 to one of the sensors.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago

Ok, So...... do I have to drop the bumper , in order to disconnect each sensor, (and test it), or can each sensor be disconnected and the connector exposed, from the rear (outside) of the bumper? Thank you. I will touch base with you again in the morning, as it is 12:27 here.

The bumper cover must be removed to access the 4 connectors.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician