Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have pathfinder 3.3 ltr. It backfires and runs very rough,

I have pathfinder 3.3...

I have pathfinder 3.3 ltr . It backfires and runs very rough , then loses all power and cuts out .

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I replaced plugs , ok for a while then did the same thing again . Cleaned the sensor in the dizzy , ran great for a week , then back to the same symptoms.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pathfinder?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have to fix my self , not sure what to do . 20 cents of petrol and a match seems like a good idea😂

1/19/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Sounds like a bad distributor. Usually if it's dirty under the cover, not the cap, but the actual cover under the rotor it causes problems with the cam sensor. If there is oil under there, it's got to be replaced. These distributors also fail when they got hot sometimes. It will run fine cold, then as the engine comes up to temp it will start to backfire and misfire. When it won't start, check for spark. If there isn't any, put a distributor in it. That should solve the problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for that

You are very welcome. See this all the time with the 3.3 L

Thank you for the rating!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician