Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I hav a problem with a 2008 Nissan Pathinder 4.0 lt. It

Hi there. I hav a...
Hi there. I hav a problem with a 2008 Nissan Pathinder 4.0 lt. It won’t start at cold It takes like 10 minutes crankin the engine it start after 7-10 crank and the battery almost dead. Then start. I turn off and crank the engine again start right up. This only happen after 1-2 hour left the engine off. Only at cold engine. There’s no DTC present. It has new battery, new crank shaft position sensor.
1/18/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! For this I would start with a throttle body clean and MAF sensor clean, there are special sprays for this you can get any any auto parts store. Make sure to clean throttle body until there is no residue left, I like to use a tooth brush it seems to work the best. After that pull negative battery cable then positive touch both cable ends together for 1 min and then wait 15 more install positive then negative and start car.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to toch both cable together for 1 minute the wait 15 minutes. While waiting 15 minutes the hav to be to him together

no while waiting the 15 they can just lay there you only need the 1 min together, also thank you for the great rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

your very welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did it. Still the same

you cleaned the throttle body and the maf ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This problem was happened last winter too. It was fine for the summer then start again in December

if you hold down the throttle all the way and dont feather it while you start does it start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did that already.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still no start

ok next we need to check fuel pressure, you want to see 51 psi

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was checking for spark. There s not spark

ahhh, do you have a check engine or security light on ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nop
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There’s no DTC present

more than likely you have cam and crank sensors bad, that is super common on these, they need to be replaced with nissan sensors and I do all 3 when I change them, if you have a oscilloscope you can measure the signal on each one to make sure its working ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced the crank shaft sensor already.

with a nissan sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Autozone

you have to get the nissan sensors for those, the aftermarket ones are not very compatible with the nissan systems, I always get the trio kit online when I do that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why this engine start if I plug the battery charger in 40 amp start right up it doesn’t matter if is cold

your battery could have low voltage and that will effect the system, have you had the battery load tested?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician