Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just went through the process of wiring up a 7way tow plug…

Hello, I just went...

Hello, I just went through the process of wiring up a 7way tow plug and brake controller in my 03 nissan xterra and now the car wont start. I tried disconnecting all the wires I just installed and it still wont start. I used a multimeter to make sure the ground to the battery is still good and that had no issues. When I turn the key you here the solenoid clicking but no start and I even tried using a battery jumper and that didnt work either.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering is fine key is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I tested the battery and tried jumping it

1/18/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Headlights on, what is the battery voltage on the cables and posts?

with the lights OFF its 12.10V with headlights on its 8V and drops rapidly

Your battery is bad or in need of a long charge. At 12.10 you only have about 50% of the amps available. At 8 you have none. At this time I would charge the battery for 6 hours minimum or replace the battery.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I just put a new battery in last month. Is there anything else that could be causing that issue?

As of right now, your no crank concern is insufficient volts and amps in the battery. We need a battery in the vehicle, yours or another than has 12.6 volts headlights off and 12.5 or more headlights on.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician