Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am trying to diagnose the problem of why my abs and vdc…

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am trying to diagnose the problem of why my abs and vdc lights come on intermittently

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the abs and when I put it in 4x4 that light blinks. I have changed the rf abs hub and sensor and check for play on lf but it seems to be tight I do realize the sensors could go bad and if so would it light the vdc light along with the abs?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Customer:*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have disconnected the battery check for play in the hub top the brake fluid off and drove it 200 + feet straight lights went off I then shut car off then started back up and continued to drive straight and lights popped back on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also checked the brake pads for ware and they are good we have been diving in extremely cold weather and snowy slushy conditions the vehicle only has 94K on it I never encountered this problem in the short 5000 miles I have owned it but the RF ABS hub that I replaced was really bad and it never set any lights on when it was bad and after replacing it i have drove it for at least 3000 miles before having this problem.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
1/16/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

We will need a scanner to read these codes that are in the computer do you have access to one?

Ok

I do not have one that will read abs issues

some local auto parts stores will have them and do a free scan, you may what to run it up there to see if they can do it

Will a bad abs sensor cause these lights to come on and off I have read many forums in regards ***** ***** problem
Ok it sounds like I need the correct scanner to get a code number

yes it would and yes you do

Ok I guess that’s the next step I will take but can you answer if the abs light comes on will it cause the vdc light to come on as well

yes they both can be caused by the same sensor or problem

Ok I will locate a scanner and get codes thank you

sure thing! ill be around!

I guess it’s senseless to ask anymore questions until I get codes

ask away thats why were here

Ok why does my 4x4 light flash when these lights are on but it locks into*****I also felt like a abs bind when I was turning out of the driveway this am when the*****was off I also have a low air pressure light on but have checked all tires it seems like something needs to be re set like it’s in limp mode

so your 4x4 might be engaged by computer by accident because of the error and that was the binding your experiencing when turning, and the tpms for that year the batteries are dying and the sensors will need to be replaced, the tpms and ABS are 2 totally different systems

I’m not familiar with tpms so your say it kills the battery? Should I get a new battery it has started really hard and not at all in this cold weather we had and this morning it was like 6 out I went to start it and it just turned over and over I waited 5-10 min went back out and it fired right up and I have started it at least 10 times today since that happened with no problem not sure if this was just a fluke or had to do with this problem

the tpms is the tire sensor, and there is a battery in the sensor that goes bad, it dosent kill the truck battery, the tpms will need to be replaced so the light will go out, if done a tire shop will need to do it, the tires need to be reprogrammed and balanced after install

Ok that’s clear enough. I will get a scanner from someone I know and go from there. Thanks again

sure thing! ill be here

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician