Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a very similar problem with to one I am reading here.

I have a very...

I have a very similar problem with to one I am reading here. Its for a 2003 Nissan Murano the car has random misfire code

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

The short term fuel trims will start to climb and descend on both banks and thats when it misfies no

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. the rear o2 sensors have been replaced and a tune up as well a the three ignition coils on bank 1 i did bank 2 also but it didnt help so i put the old coils back

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So when im scanning the data i see the car misfires when the fuel trims start climbing and descending. bank 2 will descend and bank 1 will climb and thats when it starts misfiring and they stay at +25 and -25 for a little bit then it goes to 0 and the misfire clears up

1/16/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

hey there, thanks for the question.

That is very useful data actually, points to a faulty MAF sensor. Have you tried cleaning the MAF to see if temporarily helps?

I have not tried that but I dont really suspect that. I can try it though. Something else thats odd is if the car just sits nothing happens the fuel trims are at 0 and its fine but if i give it throttle any amount the fuel trims will start doing the same thing then each bank will reach +25 -25 and then stay there and then drop to 0 after about a minute. it only does it after throttle is applied
Also if I disconnect the two front o2 sensors which are air fuel sensors, the car runs fine but that may be only because it cant calculate anything so im not sure if those are any good.

of course, because at idle the MAF isn't needing to meter air/volume and temperature. Once you apply the throttle the MAF is out of spec and the fuel trims go all over the place. This is essentially how we check MAF's to see if they are bad because they never throw codes, w watch the fuel trims. The simple fact that you cannot build RPM's because of the fuel trims and it effects BOTH BANKS tells me the MAF is bad.

Replace the MAF and you will be good to go.

ok let me try that

If you need anything else I am here, will leave the question open as long as you need.

Please just remember to leave me a kind rating now if you don't mind. thanks.

Ive changed the MAF sensor it is still doing the samething

I'll be honest with you here, the only other thing I have seen cause the fuel maps to alternate like that so drastically is when people accidently switch the o2 sensor connectors when replacing both banks.

If it was an air leak, it would be consistent to a high negative or high positive and not fluctuating between the two.

so unless that's the case, I still have serious concerns about the MAF. Maybe check the connector or something for damage or looseness.

the oxygen sensor harness is short and so are the oxygen sensor wires themselves i dont think that is a possibility they kind of lay exactly where they go. Ill try a different maf sensor one more time.

sounds good, let me know.

Checking to see if you still needed assistance?

If not please just leave me a kind rating!

thanks.

Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Sorry but it didn’t work.

Did you look for a leak in the intake housing? Something is making it read wrong and these cars are notorious for getting a tear in the intake piping near the resonator.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician