Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Pathfinder ... Cranks, won't always start. Good

2008 Pathfinder ... Cranks...

2008 Pathfinder ... Cranks, won't always start. Good battery, newer starter, new ignition switch, replaced IPDM board, new relay ... Kind of sputters when does start, then runs great.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

167000 miles. Started having starting issues over a year ago. Changed starter then IPDM board. Seemed to fix problem. Then started having issues again the last month or so. Changed ignition switch this weekend. Didn't solve problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself/Dad. Changed starter, IPDM board, relay, camshaft sensor, ignition switch ...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that when it does start it kind of stutters for a minute, then fine. If that helps.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

So when the vehicle WON'T START, what's missing? spark? fuel? what exactly? have you checked either?

No idea. New spark plugs. It turns over, then nothing. Clicks under hood, take key out and retry. It eventually turns over. Kind of stutters when it does. Battery good. Starter, camshaft sensor, IPDM board and relay, spark plugs, ignition switch, all under a year old.

Ok, so when it DOES NOT START. the engine still cranks normally? if just won't fire up correct?

All lights come on normally, turns over then nothing.

Well, when it's cranking but not starting. You need to either check for spark, or get some starting fluid and spray in the intake to see if it starts. This will tell us if we are lookng at a fuel or spark issue. So we know how to proceed.

If it's a spark issue, what would the next step be?

if its a spark issue, then the most likely cause is a faulty cam sensor. There are 2 on this engine could be either at fault and needs to be OEM sensors.

I actually have the cam sensor, just never got around to changing it. Only changed the upper/top one as it was easy to get to. So, since it turns over, it wouldn't be an issue with the ignition where the key goes in to?Also, not sure if it matters, it does have a remote starter installed. It won't even turn it over/crank it.

no, not an ignition issue if the engine cranks and the starter turns.

I would certainly replace that cam sensor, and go from there.

ASre you getting any codes at all? service engine light on?

The check engine light came on a while ago. Advance said it was an air flow issue at the time. It actually went out and never came back on.

Thanks, doesn't sound like a fault that's relevant to your no star.t

If you run into more questions later when your working on the vehicle I will leave this open for follow up.

My only request is that you leave me a kind rating when you get a chance.

thanks.

Thank you! I will do that.

Thanks

Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician