Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Intermittent stalling problems with my 2011 Nissan Murano…

Intermittent stalling problems with...

Intermittent stalling problems with my 2011 Nissan Murano LE. Ongoing for 3 months & dealership unable to diagnose the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Lights on in the RPM section of

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Dealership service only except for one emergency stop at an out of town mechanic who said the transmission light was on and it was like the car ' had a stroke '! He did a reset &

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Very frustrating as the service team can't find a diagnostic problem at all.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey thanks for the question.

So the engine itself has been stalling? or you just lose power and are unable to accelerate, but the engine is still running?

can you clarify for me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Car starts ok. Loses power when driving but intermittently. Nissan dealership can't find a problem. Lights go on in the RPM section of the dashboard. ABS light, sometimes tranmission & battery light. But no check engine message. At dealership for the 4th time today..had it towed there later yesterday . My srnse is they don't believe me.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plz reply by email vs. Call

thats fine

You say th elights go on, I get that. but does hte engine ACTUALLY DIE?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Stalls. Feels like everything freezes up & I have to pull over to the side of the road.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lights on on the RPM area only but not in the check engine or other text content wsrning section.

When the dealer scanned it were there any fault codes? should have been with the service engine soon light on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They tell me no codes.

so when it stalls is it like someone turned of the key? its doesnt bog down it just stalls completely right?

will it restart when that happens or not?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Car will restart. Sometimes no lights on RPM with restart & it will run ok for awhile. Yesterday was the worst. Could only ftivr a few blocks. Had to put my hazards on. Needed a tow to the delearship as discussed prior. Puzzling as its been a great car prior eith no issues until the last 3 months.. They did an idle reset prior & battery replaced in the late summer.

could be a cam sensor issue. They are probably the most common reason we see these cars stall out and not leave a code is a faulty cam sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is what was suggested by someone else. How do they confirm that it's a srnsor issue ? Visual inspection? As there aren't diagnostic codes. Could it be an alternator issue or just cam sensor.?

alternators are fairly easy to diagnose. You just put an electrical load on the vehicle (rear defrost, blower, bright headlights) and then check the charge voltage to make sure its close to 14v.

an intermittent cam sensor issue, is VERY difficult to diagnose because if you scope it when the engine is operating fine then the wave form looks normal. Now if you were to use the scope after the engine started acting up it would reveal the fault.

if a cam sensor is at fault, then when you go to crank the engine after it stalled. It will have no spark.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! Do you suggest replacing the Cam sensors?

if the only symptom is stalling, and there are NO CODES.

The it certainly sounds like cam sensors are the best place to start to be honest. Just do not use aftermarket cam sensors! they are very unreliable.

if have any other questions I am happy to answer them! just let me know.

If not, please just scroll up and leave me a kind rating before logging off.

thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Challenge has been dealership unable to detect anything wrong after thoroughly inspection multiple times.

I understand your concern.

the dealership needs to drive the car until it stalls in order to diagnose it. If they let it sit and start it later they won't find the fault or replicate teh symptoms/

Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician