Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

2005 nissan pathfinder will not start on cold days (below

Customer Question

2005 nissan pathfinder will not start on cold days (below 20F)
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery is fine. Engine cranks fine
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes if possible. tried dry gas, since the fuel pump was recently changed and I thought it could be water in the tank. truck starts when it warms up. over 30 usually does the trick
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really. there was a bad connection in the harness/connector at the fuel pump that the dealer supposedly fixed. Had to replace the aftermarket fuel pump with an oem fuel pump. seem like that solved many of my non starting problems until recent very cold temps. Below 20 overnight is a problem
Category: Nissan
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

I'll tell you what I tell all of my customers when it is cold and they have these issues. cover the ECM and the battery overnight. It can be with a towel, heating pad, or anything insulated. also make sure your battery is rated at the correct CCA's

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how about a blow dryer on the ecm for 5 minutes

if you're serious, its worth a shot but overnight or long periods of non-use protection is best

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I fix the problem where I don't have to cover it with a heating pad or blanket

how old is the battery?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2-3 years old. Battery cranks fine. Same as when its above 20F.

what is the battery rated at for CCA"s?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know. The truck is 30 minutes from here. I can't answer that until 545 pm est

ok. ill be here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
650cca
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the pathfinder started when I got home. Slightly above 20 f but would not start after cold night and 17 f this morning

ok, 650 cca"s are plenty if they are not degraded. you need to take the battery in to have the cold cranking amps tested.

hows it going?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The battery is fine. Tried warming ecm with a blow dryer for 30 minutes no luck. Had to bring pathfinder to a mechanic.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not able to troubleshoot using your service

and Im not able to be there to fix the issue myself. Sometimes hand on is the best way.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will let you know what the mechanic determines. If you have other ideas let me know. Seems as if it will start if the temps are above 25 F during the day.

ok

hows it going?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately it has not been cold enough overnight for the problem to be repeated. Mechanic still has the car. Hopefully it will get cold ennough by the end of this week

ok, thanks. I think you still need to see if the cca's are depleted. they can test for that

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it won't start I'll ask him to load test or put a charger on it. It seems to crank just fine

even though it cranks ok, cca is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. ... The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I knew it meant cold cranking amps but never knew the definition. Thanks

sure.