Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 nissan pathfinder will not start on cold days (below…

Customer Question
2005 nissan pathfinder will...

2005 nissan pathfinder will not start on cold days (below 20F)

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery is fine. Engine cranks fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes if possible. tried dry gas, since the fuel pump was recently changed and I thought it could be water in the tank. truck starts when it warms up. over 30 usually does the trick

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really. there was a bad connection in the harness/connector at the fuel pump that the dealer supposedly fixed. Had to replace the aftermarket fuel pump with an oem fuel pump. seem like that solved many of my non starting problems until recent very cold temps. Below 20 overnight is a problem

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
1/15/2018
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

I'll tell you what I tell all of my customers when it is cold and they have these issues. cover the ECM and the battery overnight. It can be with a towel, heating pad, or anything insulated. also make sure your battery is rated at the correct CCA's

how about a blow dryer on the ecm for 5 minutes

if you're serious, its worth a shot but overnight or long periods of non-use protection is best

How do I fix the problem where I don't have to cover it with a heating pad or blanket

how old is the battery?

2-3 years old. Battery cranks fine. Same as when its above 20F.

what is the battery rated at for CCA"s?

I don't know. The truck is 30 minutes from here. I can't answer that until 545 pm est

ok. ill be here

650cca
the pathfinder started when I got home. Slightly above 20 f but would not start after cold night and 17 f this morning

ok, 650 cca"s are plenty if they are not degraded. you need to take the battery in to have the cold cranking amps tested.

hows it going?

The battery is fine. Tried warming ecm with a blow dryer for 30 minutes no luck. Had to bring pathfinder to a mechanic.
Not able to troubleshoot using your service

and Im not able to be there to fix the issue myself. Sometimes hand on is the best way.

I will let you know what the mechanic determines. If you have other ideas let me know. Seems as if it will start if the temps are above 25 F during the day.

ok

hows it going?

Unfortunately it has not been cold enough overnight for the problem to be repeated. Mechanic still has the car. Hopefully it will get cold ennough by the end of this week

ok, thanks. I think you still need to see if the cca's are depleted. they can test for that

If it won't start I'll ask him to load test or put a charger on it. It seems to crank just fine

even though it cranks ok, cca is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. ... The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts.

I knew it meant cold cranking amps but never knew the definition. Thanks

sure.