Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2014 Frontier brake pedal very hard, cannot press, lights…

2014 Frontier brake pedal...

2014 Frontier brake pedal very hard, cannot press, lights come on but no radio or mileage display, Manual ignition, no button to start...brake fluid reservoir full line. Stearing at locked possition can move as expected. good morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

It's a 2014 fluid level good. popped the cap no pressure or bubbles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just wanted to start the truck, used it last night just fine no noises or anything to alert

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No all good thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question. Do the headlights work? Can you try them for me please?Also does the FOB lock and unlock the doors?
Lights work radio does not light up now, it did earlier

What happens when you attempt to start it? does it click? do the gauges flutter? what exactly?

Nothing can not turn key, manual ignition no button. Seems safety features engaged since key can not turn. Ignition ? Stearing moves as expected when locked little movement

so you cannot turn the key in the ignition? but the steering wheel moves freely? or both the steering wheel and ignition are locked?

Both Locked

ahh thanks that makes sense then.

I need you to grab the wheel at the 10 or 2 position and pull down on it forcefully while turning the ignition to release the interlock.

Tough...
Nope...out breath not movimg

there is an interlock cable from the steering wheel ignition lock. when the steering wheel locks it can be difficult to release.

the brake pedal is not of concern, its just holding pressure until the engine is started and booster vacuum applied.

i did double check for any bulletins just to make sure there wasn't something I have yet to see, but nothing for this.

Yea I think a tow is in order...Thank you

I would hate to see you have to tow it for this. hold on one second for me.

Ok

can you try pressing the brake and shifting to neutral? you may have to use the manual release with the small plastic cap over it on the shift plate.

No go...Real tough. No worries Jake it is under warranty tow and rental included. I'll let the pros deal with it. Thank you for your efforts.
Thought Manuel would have been easier than button thanks again have a great day

no problem, sorry we couldn't get it going.

if its not too much trouble I would appreciate it if you could scroll up and leave me a rating. thanks.

Jake thank you for your time and efforts. Well as you know I had the truck towed to the dealer. While completing the paperwork the tech used my spare key to view the mileage and what not...cranked right up. Very confused the truck was started and restarted many times. Case closed drove home.To make a long story short take a look...the key chain is the replacement...the loose key I have used since driving off the lot. Systems did what we're supposed to.Thanks again.
Your welcome, glad it’s running.It’s likely during the tow process the front tires moved enough to release the interlock issue you had. Sometimes it works or like that unfortunately.

wanted to check back and see if you still needed any assistance on this?

If so, let me know. If not please be sure to scroll up and leave me a kind rating please.

thank you.

Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician