Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I've read several instances of the battery being drained,

Customer Question
I've read several instances...

I've read several instances of the battery being drained, but no answers. How can i fix the issue of my cars battery being drained; i'm on my 3rd battery in 2 years

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The battery is perfectly fine. it's less than 7 months old

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2010 ultima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've had the battery replaced on 3 separate occassions

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that is it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Nissan
1/13/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine /gearbox.
Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What was stated above has been done on 2 separate occassions, ending with a new battery being installed each time. The battery I currently have installed was installed at a Nissan dealership less than 7 months ago. I need to know if there is a known draining issue and what is causing this issue.

hello

theres' no TSB regarding this I'm afraid

so the best route is to use the current drain test method I've outlined above

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer