Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My Frontier diesel has hardtime startting, 2012, 5000km (8…

My Frontier diesel has...

My Frontier diesel has hardtime startting

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

2012, 5000km (8 months ago)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

We check fuel supply, brought fuel tank down, cleaned it, all the lines, changed the filters

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It will start with a lot of swinging the engine

1/13/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.
Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything
Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
you can also do a reasonable run-back test yourself by disconnecting the electrical plug on the injectors and the downstream pipe of the leak off, crank the engine over and if you see a noticable difference if the flow in the leak off then that the likely problem injector.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, we found that the tank was dirty and fuel filter. We cleaned the tank and removed all pieces and cleaned it. Renewed the filters. There is not enough fuel coming to injector entrance. You have to crank it long with gas pedal in full throttle and cranking for 30 seconds then it will start. While driving it has enough power. But when you stop it has hard time running stationary and will shut off. Cranking full throttle it starts in 30 seconds or more. Fuel economy is not was it was before the problem. We have also white smoke at high RPM.

Ok that sounds like it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Matt, Engineer

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Mat,
Sorry for the late reply, I was to busy with other work. The current situation is as follows:
1. The pickup does not start immediately as couple of months ago. Our ambient temp. is always 25 Celsius and higher.
2. I have replaced the hose between fuel injection pump and fuel filter. It was a transparent hose and pump was sucking directly from a pale. Unfortunately, it did not help. So, it does not look like air.
3. I sometimes can start by flooring the gas pedal and keep cranking.
4. Other times I need to spray starting fluid to get it started. With starting fluid it starts immediately.
5. When it starts, I have to keep rpm high because sometimes it stops when you take your feet off the gas pedal.
6. When engine is running , it runs smooth, there is enough power while driving.
7. The problem is to start it each time, keep it running stationary (virtually impossible), it shuts itself off on low rpm
8. Is my fuel injector dirty or is the fuel injection pump defective.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Please answer before I can give you a rating

Hello

thanks for the extra information

so if it struggles to start even when pulling from a pail of fuel then yes it could be a faulty pump

if you have a pressure gauge you can confirm the pump performance as the fuel pressure at idle should be at least 250bar

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hi, It is a simple Nissan pickup, it still has a ECU? Garages here are a pain. Very bad mechanics (parts replacers not trouble shooters). In the meantime I have also used a full bottle of injector cleaner. I ran it directly from the bottle to the pump and return in the bottle until it finished. It was 0.5 liter. Would it be handy to clean the injectors? (remove it and take apart and clean it). So, we narrow it to the pump?
Do you have experience with the pump? We are handy and better mechanic than some here. But I am terrified to loose timing setup or can the pump fit only one way on the engine? In that way I am willing to take pump apart.

hello

if its a 2012 then yes it should have a ECU as it should be the ZD 30 engine which is a common rail diesel with electronic injection

and running injector cleaner through the units certainly won't hurt

to my knowledge the pump is non serviceable and has to be replaced as a whole unit and as its not mechanical injection there's no pump timing to worry about

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hi, no it is an old fashioned diesel injection pump with old fashioned injectors. Common rail no where to be seen. These things are manufactured in MEXICO. They have TD27 engine.

Ah Ok beg your pardon

in that case then your're quire right that the TD27 needs timing up work correctly

this PDF shows the figures required

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0865/6152/files/Timing_a_VE_style_Pump_EBook.pdf

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** I have the only option left is clean injectors (open remove and clean) and then if it does not work to replace fuel pump or rebuilt it ?

I'd agree with that

and the pumps can be rebuilt but they usually need specialist part to rebuild it

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok thank you. I will rate you now
Matt, Engineer