Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Murano. I was told (32000 miles)my

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Murano. I was told (32000 miles)my transmission fluid was dirty, power steering fluid was dirty and the cab filter needed replacing at a cost of over $400. I just read where Roy, a Nissan mechanic stated transmission fluid is good for 100k miles. Is there I way I can verify if this mechanic is being honest and the replacements are needed, or I am being literally taken for a ride.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

I bought the car used from a dealership 2 years ago in May

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just had the oil changed and no other issues or warning lights on dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is one other thing, last summer the rear seats got yet we are not aware of rear seat heating or controls for that and the front seat heaters were not on, but to reslove my husband removed the fuse. I was in the back seat with a friend and she was having the same issue. We are baffled

1/13/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

I dont know of any fluid that should wait till 100k, thats alomst like saying a lifetime oil change, they make a lifetime fluid in some vehicles but thats just until the trans goes, as a nissan tech myself I always recommend to people every 30-60k on the trans depending on the driving conditions, power steering is probably ok until 60k and cabin air should be changed in accordance on how dirty it gets in your area, but if its never been changed until now it will need to be changed, if you want a 100% opinion have the tech smear the fluid on a white napkin and send pictures of the fluid and I will be able to tell if they need to be changed or not, and for the rear seats are you asking if your car has rear seat heaters?

No rear seat heaters to my knowledge

I was asking that to your last inquiry

Asking why would they heat up, could there be some kind of manufacturer error and controls were not installed? Front seat heaters were not engaged at the time in June. southwest u.s.

there is rear heated seat option and some also have electric seat fold option as well both could have an error or be on accidentally and cause a heating issues, has it happened since?

Fuse was removed and when we were told $80 to diagnose-my husband said no

you can do a vehicle reset by pulling negative battery cable then positive touch both cable ends together for 1 min and then wait 15 more install positive then negative and start car, make sure while battery is off to re install the seat warmer fuse and when car is started monitor seats to see if they have reset, most of these functions are by the computer and sometimes just need a hard reset just like any computer

I see, will try, thank you.
End of discussion

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician