Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driving down road and lost all power, No first time, then…

Customer Question
Driving down road and...

Driving down road and lost all power

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No first time, then smelled burnimg when i pushed the start button

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2015 pathfinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?

Smelled burning electrical when push the start button

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When i pushedthe button i saw smoke coming from under hood

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Nissan
1/9/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you inspected the battery yet?

When i push the start button itsmoked and smelled burning electrical
Ustill there
Hello

Ok what else have you done to try to find the burning? is it still under warranty ?

I thing so, battery terminal is very corroded, I got that off now scrubbing it

ok that would need to be addressed first make sure there is no sign of any corrosion, they have battery terminal cleaner at the auto parts store that works great for that

Nissan Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Different expert here. You need to check your charging system voltage with the engine running. Making sure the alternator is charging the battery. Also you should have the battery tested. If there is corrosion present it means the battery is leaking and really should be replaced. Batteries typically last about 3 years and that is right at the age of your vehicle.

It won't start, it has a push button start and when u push it, it just clicks

If you jump start it would the same thing happen?

tried that

Sounds like you either have a bad starter or the engine is seized. Have you checked the oil level?

You could try jumping the starter solenoid and see if the engine turns over, but you said it clicks which indicates the starter is getting the signal from the ignition button.

Oil level is fine, it seem like when I move the shifter it effects the interior lights and I dunno it's weird
When u push the button, the lights do dim, if that means anythinf

Sounds like a poor connection or bad ground. How are the battery cables?

The positive was very corroded, I cleaned kg the best I could and put it back on,

Are the cables tight? can you twist them?

they are tight

Have you had the battery tested?

No but all interior light work, it just does one click and all lights dim

Where is the click coming from when you push the start button? the starter?

Can't really tell, there is much electrical stuff

How many miles are on it?

54000

You said you saw smoke coming from under the hood. Were you able to see any melted wiring?

No didn't see... U think maybe starter solenoid

Yes. I think its your starter/starter solenoid.

How can I test it, to see

Some auto parts stores will test your starter and starter solenoid for free. You would have to remove the starter from the vehicle and take it there.

Oh., pk

You can test the starter yourself by applying battery voltage to small wire on the starter. That is the signal wire. Remove the small wire on the starter and use a jumper wire directly from the positive battery terminal. If the engine cranks then you know you have a bad solenoid. Make sure you are doing this correctly before attempting for safety reasons.