Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 Nissan Frontier. Battery is good. Just replaced

Customer Question
1998 Nissan Frontier. Battery...

1998 Nissan Frontier. Battery is good. Just replaced starter. Still no cranking

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

1 click. Not that loud though

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. We’ll have been having trouble with starter from time to time. Last week it was doing this. Replaced starter today. Still doing it. But starter needed replaced anyway

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s about it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you measured voltage at the starter main wire and signal wire when cranking yet ?

No. Just got starter in. Will be doing all that tomorrow. Was wondering if it could be a fuse, which one to check? Or a relay?

yes this will just take a min to get you that information

OK I dont have tha in my data base ill have to open this back up to the other techs for assistance

Nissan Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, there is a relay, I'll post it's location below. The brown wire on it goes to the starter. I'll also post both wiring diagrams below. Also just to make sure you don't end up chasing your tail has the battery been load tested? OFten people see 12 volts and assume it's good.

Please let me know how things go.

It’s a brand new battery. The Paperwork that came with the starter said to replace the relay when I replace the starter.

The other relay is the theft warning relay It's right by the inhibitor relay in the picture I sent. I would replace them both if you have not already

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.