Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L. I got the following codes:

Customer Question
P0340 P1122 P0223 P0123I replaced the Cam Sensor...
P0340
P1122
P0223
P0123I replaced the Cam Sensor, Throttle Body and Throttle Pedal.Now it will not start.I tried the ReLearn for the Throttle and still nothing. It hits a couple times then grinds and then hits a couple times and then grinds.I removed the negative post for 20 minutes. Put it back. Same.I removed the fuel line from the rail and turn on the ignition. Fuel is priming. I turned it over a few times and it was pouring as it should.I replaced the crank sensor as well. Still the same.It has new plugs that were installed a couple weeks ago.I am at a loss...Need some guidance.Thanks,Mark
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

the starter hits sometimes and grinds sometimes?

No, engine sometimes hits. Starter works fine.

ok

Any Ideas?? or did I just waste my money??

excuse me?

I paid $28,
Ok.. Just a couple minutes... I will do as you ask, but don't send me round a bush... I have been working on cars since I was 14...I am now 51.. I am no man's fool. I put a clutch in this same vehicle 6 months ago. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering as well.

please do not patronize me I've been working on cars for 45 years.

That is what I was asking you to not do to me. I have done as you asked... Ground was removed and used a 150 grit sandpaper to clean and then reattached.

I can see where this is going... good luck, Ill open it up to someone else.

You are very rude.
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there Mark, sorry about your experience. My name is Jake.Can you tell me if the car was running BEFORE you replaced those parts?Also, did the codes return after you cleared them and replaced the parts?
Car was running. I got home turned off car. I went to leave about an hour later and car would not start.
I then pilled the codes using my Sync up and Drive module. I replaced the Cam sensor first. Starter spins properly. but no start. I turned off the key and tried again. It "hit" a couple times but did not start. Turned off the key and then tried again. It would just spin. I then replaced the Throttle body as it has a sensor built in. Same result as above. I then replaced the throttle pedal as it has a sensor in it. Same result as above. I also changed the crank sensor on back under the intake, Same results as above when cranking. Did the Throttle relearn and same result. I removed the fuel line and check for fuel pressure. plenty of fuel and pressure. I also sprayed starter fluid in intake. It will "hit" but not start.
I have removed the ground from the battery for 20 mins and it did not clear any of the codes.
Thanks for the detailed response.To be honest I am a bit concerned with the symptoms and the hard codes like that out of nowhere. When these throttles and APP sensors fail it’s fairly obvious with erratic idle and acceleration issues that don’t effect starting.
The cam sensors will of course effect starting but will cause a no spark condition.
My biggest concern is that these are all ECM driven sensor faults and they are hard faults at that. So unless the engine harness was damaged near the throttle and cam sensor area, then ECM is suspect.