Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Jay the blower works fine on the car. However when i am not…

Customer Question
Jay the blower works...

Jay the blower works fine on the car. However when i am not running at least 1000 rpm the car has no heat. Would the resistor for it have anything to do with it? I've had 2 professional mechanics remove air with the systems air bleeder but still have no heat unless rpms are over 1000 rpm. I've replaced the thermostat, blown the heater core both ways and still have no heat unless the rpms are high. Considering a water pump replacement now to see if its a flow problem cause by a worn impeller pump on the water pump. What are your thoughts? Mike Tomash

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Replaced the thermostat and coolant levels are full.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2004 Infiniti G35 all wheel drive with the 3.5 liter motor. I've read that a lot of the Infinits along with the Nissan Altimas and Maximas have the same problem. The car has 148,000 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Altima?

It is a 2004 G35 Infiniti

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced theromostat. The system has been filled and air released in the system by 2 professional mechanics. The car is not an Altima it's a 2004 G35 Infiniti which i've stated at least 3 times now ok?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Nissan
1/6/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 month ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

So you get heat when driving, but when the car is at idle, you are not getting heat?

These coolant systems are tricky to bleed. Air Bleeders do not get all the air out of the systems.... Let me explain how the system is bleed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What other procedures are there to bleed the system?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm waiting to hear what needs to be done to bleed the system.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

To bleed the system properly, it does take about a 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours...

sorry, not a fast typer.. getting images now of what the coolant bucket looks like...

When I use the Air Bleeder, it cuts the bleeding time down, but you still have to bleed the system as I described after you air bleed it. These coolant systems if there is any air in the system will cause your condition and getting the air out, will require the system to be bleed as I described.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how long does bleeding take when using a coolant bucket usually?

As I said, it will take up to about a hour or so bleeding the system as I outlined.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are dealers more versed in this than a radiator shop? My guy used the bucket and still have air in the system. Do you continue to allow the car to run for the 1-1 1/2 hours while waiting for heat to come while on idle? We used the bleeder valve but still had to rev the engine for heat.

Dealers are aware how tricky these coolant systems are to bleed where outside shops I am sure are not...

Did you read the steps? Yes, you are letting the car run that period of time to bleed out the system...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The nearest infiniti dealer is over 100 miles away. Is this something a Nissan dealer should be able to do as the Maximas and Altimas have the same problems from what i've read online?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a nissan dealer close to my home.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jay should a nissan dealer be able to do this as the closest ininiti dealer is over 100 miles away from me? I understand the steps and just need an answer on the question i just asked please.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also want to know what you consider the face mode when bleeding the system?

On the air controller. You have it comes out only the top vent.. Not defrost.. Top vent.. So it blows out the top

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician