Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Got gas this Tuesday in the evening my husband was using the…

Customer Question
Got gas this Tuesday...

Got gas this Tuesday in the evening my husband was using the car to go to work when he started the car a light on console says "Service Engine Soon" took it to Adavanced Auto Parts they checked with a small red computer that they hook up under the instrument panel to the computer it gave code P0420. I looked that up and it can be emissions and a plethora of other things. Do I take it to my mechanic and have them hook it up to their computer and find out exactly what it is. What I have noticed is that the RPM is not working properly. The last time this car had a tune up was 73,000 miles ago the car has 173,000 is a Nissan Sentra 2008 the spark plugs they used supposedly were iridium spark plugs. I was told that the car didn't need another tune up until it reached the 200,000. Now I have looked up that the iridium spark plugs are only good until 50,000 miles not happy about any of this happening now is the only car that we have what am I looking at here in terms of the cost of repair. We will not be able to buy another car until this coming January.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on. :-(

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2008 Nissan Sentra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

No we have a mechanic where we take it to whenever we have problems with it. We have never had to spend a lot of money on this car except for the change of oils, fluids servicing the brakes and the radiator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
1/4/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Had the light been on prior to getting gas or this is the first time it's been on?
Also, is the engine running normally?

it is except for the RPM. Is not stuttering or hesitating or nothing like that.
Never mind I will call my mechanic and talk to him directly thanks for trying to help me. Have a nice day.