Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 altima won't start. Tried to jump it off at lunch today…

Customer Question
2012 altima won't start...

2012 altima won't start. Tried to jump it off at lunch today and it sounded like it almost turned over but ultimately wouldn't start. Assumed it was the battery. Got a new one and just installed it. Still won't start and now all of the dashboard lights are on and will not turn off. The brake also feels like it's stuck or something.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No, guess I haven't checked the fuses. Should have thought of that. Battery is like 5 years old so that was my only real thought.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just tried putting in the new battery - it needs it anyway I believe so no harm there. I can go check on fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess that's all - just the car still won't start, dashboard lights won't go off and brake feels like it's stuck

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 6 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

First thing I would like you to do is disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then reconnect it and see if the car starts and let me know..

dashboard lights went out. after reattaching negative cable the correct lights (headlights) came on when I unlocked the door. Then car wouldn't start - same as before and now all of the dashboard lights are back on and won't go out. Brake still feels stuck.

That I am afraid is a BCM issue. The Bcm will need to be replaced to resolve your issue. This will also require all remotes to be reprogrammed to the car. So when you get the vehicle towed to have this control unit replaced, configured, and reprogrammed. They will need all your remotes present. Also the tire pressure monitoring system will require all TPMS sensors to be relearned to the vehicle with Bcm replacement

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!