Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Car is not shutting off. 2009 Nissan maxima. Replacing

Customer Question
Car is not shutting...

Car is not shutting off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2009 Nissan maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

"KEY" light is on the dash gauges not moving

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Nissan
1/2/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 month ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

First thing we need to do is stall out the car. So what I do is pull the fuel pump fuse and this will run the car till the car stalls with out throwing codes. Then I will disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins to do a master reset. While doing the reset I will put the fuse back in. Once the 15 mins have past, connect the negative battery cable and see if the vehicle starts and turns off as it should and let me know..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Car isn’t starting

Ok.. If it's not starting, then you have a Body Control Module issue causing the whole problem. You did the 15 mins reset right?

Then I am afraid you are going to need a BCM most likely. What is the car doing when you try to re-start it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounding like it want to start but not starting
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is BCM expensive?

The Engine was turning over but did not catch.. Oh.. You may need to try a few times to build up fuel pressure again..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did and it still trying

Did you try giving it a little gas.. How many times did you try?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4x

Did you try to give it gas just a little bit to see if it would start?

Here is a trick.. If you press and hold the Start Button, the engine will continue to turn over instead of timing out. But just don't turn it over to long..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It started

Perfect!!! Now turn it off and see if it turns off and starts normal..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I let it idle a bit?

Yeah.. You can do that.. If you want take it around the block..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ohk

When you get back. See if it turns off properly and if you can restart it. If it works.. Then your good!! The reset worked..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the bcm located

I think it's behind the Cluster if I remember right.. I can double check for you..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please do

Yeah.. It's behind the cluster.

But I think you may be good now. So let me know how you make out with the quick trip

Checking in to see how we are making out? Everything good now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No put the scanner on and it detected error with bcm

What was the error code? Do you recall?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don’t recall

Well this is what I would check. I have seen where a ABS sensor can short out and when it does can cause pre-mature abs activation. By you turning off the VDC, it's keeping that from activating cause your turning over the ABS system pretty much.

Are you a shop? Do you have a scanner that can monitor ABS sensors?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When. The mechanic comes back I’ll have him monitor it

Oh.. That response was for a Different customer with a ABS issue.

This is issue is a BCM issue. The BCM affects the start operation and controls the shut down and start of the vehicle.

But if the reset worked, and the car is starting normal now, You should be fine.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician