Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cranks but won't start. How do I check. 2009 titan se flex.

Customer Question
Cranks but won't start ...

Cranks but won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

How do I check

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2009 titan se flex

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I cycled the key and heard the fuel pump kick on. I've jump started it and it stayed running so,I ruled out the alternator, I've swapped relays thinking maybe ecm

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Is there a security light on in the dash?

When I open the door it flashes, it does not stay on

so we need to check fuel pressure and spark at the plugs next, have you dont that?

No

ok do that and let me know what you come up with

Tried starting fluid, no start

ok how did the checks go?

How do I check spark plugs

it requires a bit of automotive knowledge to not get hurt doing that, theres a lot of videos on YouTube that show you how, if your not comfortable I would have someone help you so you dont get zapped

No spark

do you have a check engine light on?

Not at the moment. It comes on intermittently

ok so there will be some stored codes we nood to have the truck scanned for them to see whats going on, do you have access to a scanner?

I've hooked it up yesterday and it said it didn't have any codes. But the times I have had the light on and hooked it up it,gave the code,for random misfire
Ive been taking my battery out every night because my truck hasnt been starting in the cold so it might be resetting the computer I,don't know

so you more than likely have a cam or crank sensor issue those tell the computer to tell the coils to fire, and are a common issue with these, without an oscilloscope you wont be able to read the waves but you can check resistance at the sensors to see if they are ok

Do I just remove sensors and check for resistence with multimeter?

yes and resistance on these is 0, I would unplug them and see if you can get it to start

also check wiring and connectors for issues

hows it going?