Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

About 12 days ago my service engine soon light came on.

Customer Question
About 12 days ago...

About 12 days ago my service engine soon light came on. there was a some sputtering at cold start and rough idle at times when stopped at a light / engine normal op. temp. I then took it to have all fluids changed out cause it was time too. When i got the truck back the told me the light was an electrical issue or amazon but they did not scope it. I took it to another shop where they found my exchaust manifold was cracked in several places and both sides need repair 3.3ltr v6 supercharger 2001desert runner. They fixed it. The Tech picked me up with my truck two days later-he drove it to me. I went to look for the engine light if it was on or off-it was off. I was happy. on the way back to their shop with tech driving I noticed my temp gauge was at the max H. W pulled over and shut it down. another mech fro their shop came and when the engine was cool enough-he opened the cap-it was pretty much empty. we put nearly a whole gallon of coolant in and drove back to the shop. I was there for another hour or so. they said it was fine. I do no think they pressured checked the cooling system? I don't know? I would think they would have? I didn't ask either. I drove my truck home pared it. the next morning there was a puddle of coolant under my truck. I re-filled it started it up and drove maybe 10 miles - it t ran just fine. power restored no engine light. they fixed the exhaust obviously. It drove my truck up on my ramps left it over night which was this past saturday night. Sunday t the next morning now--

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Oops--Sunday am no coolant on the ground i looked into the radiator and there was no coolant present-some still in reviser though. I started it up it sounded very not normal at all- i shut it down and it sits there still. the repair shop drove it to me with the engine on full H they are claiming it was no doing of theirs. That this was a previous problem before they got it. Yet It never ran hot till they gave it back. Its possible the head gasket was giving out prior? but still their shop drove it and didn't realize this issue with no coolant and drove it hot without even noticing it. I care not so much who's at fault but what can be the problem? and is it worth fixing? 261,000 miles on the motor. please, anything you can add to this? Should i not bother with repairing it? What about a new motor? may be cheaper to install then to fix a head gasket if that is the issue? I found some motors (from a reliable source seemingly) with 71,000 miles on it with a good warranty. I hate to buy a new one in desperation. That you, Rick

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Nissan?

2001 desert runner 3.3 ltr v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Idle is rough at cold and at stoping when hot or normal op temp. but i have not started it up since sunday cause the coolant is missing. Hard to tell if coolant is in oil -it may be. my eyes cant tell--- i use hi mileage syn. oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i am not fixing anything. its been in the shop for exhaust which was fixed --now i have this problem

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
1/1/2018
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 6 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

The site is going to prompt you for a call. Please know no call is required and if a call is needed, we will agree to it.

waiting here-no phone call needed unless you prefer.? SIte said it was $5 . they charged me $20--
no that would be nice but its too much money. I just paid out a lot my truck this past 12 days, thanks anyways
my nissan is a 2001 desert runner frontier 3.3 lt. v6 supercharger ( in case you don't have that info)? sorry about all the type errors.
What? Why charge me all the money if I get no response? He referred me to Somebody else? This is not a response to my problem though . I'm confused
Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago
eric remington

w​hat a scenario! what you need to do is find out what exactly isyour problem...where its leaking

Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

hard to believe they added a gallon of coolant and said its fine...it obviously had a leak

I don't know where leak is? Puddles merger overnight under center. cant see a leak although coolant is well spread out all over underneath everything on right side i noticed the other day.
Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

and it still does...it may have damaged the engine where major engine repair is needed...but maybe not...you may have gotten lucky...Ive fixed over 30000 cars in my day and I have seen both scenarios...so take it to a good reputable shop where a mechanic knows his stuff

Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

call a reputable shop ie angies list and have the system pressure tested yes you need a radiator/cooling system pressure test

261,00 miles --is it wortth fixing cost wise? is it cheaper for a New or used engine to buy and install ?
do you think head gasket is cracked?
Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

could be a water pump... hose....gasket but you need to fix it right away. if you have free towing get it towed don't drive it far with a leak make sure its full if you drive

Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

please do rate me as my compensation depends on that also it needs to have a professional car doctor look at it...that's the only way to determine what it is whether or not its worth fixing etc

do you think its worth the trouble - you have answered my question please regarding what if its head gasket? cheaper to install newer motor than repair old truck hi-mileage head gasket? or maybe not even bother with it-rid it to cars for kids or trade in?
I cant find a leak the compartment shows no visible signs
I think this shop can find out whats wrong after all- they drove it hot- they tore apart ny engine to fix exhaust. they claim they never messed with cooling system
Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

I​t was a preexisting leak. but it may not need a head gasket may just nmeed a water pump...get it checked

Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago
How's it going?What
I just talk to the shop the same one that fix my exhaust manifold the shop that drove my truck is no coolant in it to come pick me up you know that story right? Anyways he told me the head gasket was blown out one side and the receipt being out of the heater hoses as well he said to come see him tomorrow and we'll talk about it I don't know exactly what that means obviously he's really busy at the shop. But all I know is they drove my truck with no coolant in it and I just have a cooler replaced about two weeks ago and then I drove her to get that fixed the exhaust so you know that story of course right? Anyways I'm not asking you to be a lawyer don't you think they should be liable in accountable to fix this?
He try to tell me that I had a coolant leak previously and that he was in aware of it they also mentioned they never Work with the cooling system why they were fixing the exhaust problem yet they still drove truck to me with no coolant in it,nearly a gallon short of being full. About a 15 minute ride to my house
Nissan Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 6 months ago

Y​ES VERY IRRESPONSIBLE....stupid to drive with coolant leak and they don't tell you....they did not care. complain to owner of business