Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car will run on starter fluid but not on it's own. Single…

Customer Question
My car will run...

My car will run on starter fluid but not on it's own

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Single I believe

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1984 nissan 300zx 2+2 non turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300ZX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am, and so far I have checked that i am getting fuel from the fuel pump and it is delivering fuel to the pressure regulator and there is fuel going to the fuel rails

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I pulled the spark plugs out and all of them were dry

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 4 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question. Do you notice the security light on when cranking?
Crap, this is a 84 model my apologies. That’s irrelevant here
Ohh okay
you not getting injector pulse correct? Good fuel pressure but no injector pulse?
I believe so, its getting the 35psi from the fuel pump just no fuel delivery
Then the distributor is likely at fault here. The cam sensor inside the distributor controls injector pulse.
The car recently overheated really bad would that be a cause for this to happen?
Probably not to be honest unless the overheating effected the distributor or got coolant on it.
If the cam sensor was bad would there still be spark from the spark plugs?
On these old cars yes, it was not uncommon. You could very by installing a new distributor and turning it even by hand and checking
Because I have spark just no fuel leaving the fuel injectors, could it possibly be my injectors too?
Hello
No, injectors are fine I’m sure. You can ohm them out to be sure if you want
How can I check if the cam sensor is bad

well you would need to check the pulse generated from it that it sends to the ECM when cranking the engine. Hard to do unless you have a lab stop or oscilloscope.

Just checking in to see if you still need assistance?

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician