Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I cannot start my car, there is a red key icon flashing and…

Customer Question
I cannot start my...

I cannot start my car, there is a red key icon flashing and a yellow key symbol showing

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I checked the battery it looked ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2008 Nissan Altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I have tried to have my car jumped off, that didn’t work, I have to wait until a store opens up so I can replace my key battery

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/31/2017
Nissan Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I would start with replacing the key battery to see if this helps.It sounds like your vehicles security system has engaged causing this issue here.This can be due to the key battery being weak needing replaced or due to a fault with the key/remote itself or a fault with the immobilizer sensor that reads the key.I have seen all of these cause this issue here, unfortunately.

What has to be done from here if the battery replacement in the key does not work, is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.This will help to locate which component has failed ( key, immobilizer/key sensor or the control unit/ecu) needing to be replaced.In some cases, all that is needed is to lock and unlock the doors with the key or remote once the battery is replaced to take it out of security mode.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete