Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It conked out when I gave it gas. No power. First I thought…

Customer Question
Hi, it conked out...

Hi, it conked out when I gave it gas. No power. First I thought it was slipping because of ice. But it would not engage?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Aftr a few seconds, minute it engaged long enough to roll a little out of traffic. I then died completely. I could jump start it and get it go about a block and a half and then up my driveway.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2002 Maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was running perfectly fine as I keep it in top notch shape. I brought it in for an oil change, told I needed a front end alignment and that is when the problems started (next day). I had all new spark plugs replaced, a new battery and an oxgen sesnor replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/30/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 6 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

So in order to get it to run you had to jump start it?
Is the check engine light on when it's running?

The check engine light has been on for over 10 years and I was told no problem. The codes have been check several times.

Ok, and it did need to be jumped to actually start and run? When you tried to restart it without the jump, what happened? No cranking?

No sure as I have not started it up again since I got it in the drive. I will need to get back on this later as I have to go to an appt.How do we reconnect later?

You can just post here when you are ready, I will be on all day.

There should be links in your email to get you back here as well.

Thank you so much. I will reconnect. Got to get a rental and deal with this later. Bye for now.

You are very welcome!

Mike,
O.K. I just back and tried to start the car. It started up. Now what.
Just to update. When rolling it did not respond to the gas pedal and I was able to inch my way down the street.
Hi, want to check to see if you are there?

I am here, sorry for the delay.

It sounds like there is a problem with the cam or crank sensor. I would have the codes scanned again. I realize the light has been on for a long time, but any new codes will still show up in there. From the sounds of it you've got one of these sensors failing once it gets hot.

Most of the time there would be a code stored for one of them.