Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2007 Altima with CVT tranny has been going into 'fail…

Customer Question
My 2007 Altima with CVT...
My 2007 Altima with CVT tranny has been going into 'fail safe' mode periodically when trying to accelerate from a stop sign. I will then kick back in making the car take off. It typically only happens after the car has been driven for awhile. Does not happen all the time but about once per trip but once it starts it will continue to do it that trip.I've done a lot of reading on the CVT and figured it was maybe a fluid issue (too high/low) hitting some type of sensor which puts it in fail safe to protect it. But I've kept clean CVT fluid in it and do my best to keep it between the marks on the dipstick.Just recently, at a round a bout while trying to accelerate the car jerked and bucked for about 2 seconds and was fifine. It did it again today (2 weeks later) when taking off from stop sign. Feels almost like trying to drive a manual and not getting it in gear.I'm wondering if these two things are related? if they are transmission related or what else it might be? I am not getting any engine light?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

hey there, over filling the CVT can certainly create some issues. granted checking the fluid and draining a small amount if overfilled is an easy fix or way to rule that out.

When we see loss of accelleration (fail safe) after long drives sometimes that can be a fluid logic issue with the fluid temperature sensor. som of the later model 2010-2012 models were more common to see this and have an external cooler installed to prevent it.

A bucking issue though would be certainly be CVT related as well, but usually is the result of the belt slipping or TC lock up issues. If it was a TC lock issue you pretty much ALWAYS would get a code though so that's not what I am thinking it is in this scenario.

with both the bucking and fail safe issues though, i would say it's safe to say it's certainly BOTH CVT related at this point.

We can rule out an overfill because if anything it was a tad low and I added some to bring it back up between the marks. But it has acted up since them.correct, that there as been no engine codes up to this point. I have a personal scanner and am not finding anything. The car does not die but it's almost as if it won't go into gear (of course I know CVT does not have traditional gears but it has that feel).What about the crankshaft or camshaft sensors?

well crankshaft and camshaft sensors are not likely here unfortunately. The vehicle would stall if it was a camshaft sensor issue and a crankshaft sensor would put it in fail safe even in neutral where you couldnt hardly rev it if it stayed running.

hypothetically, would a crankshaft sensor going bad cause bucking while driving? maybe just a quick short and then it rights itself?

i apologize, i just seen your response.

Generally a crankshaft sensor would NOT cause a bucking while driving then right itself.

i have seen rar scenarios where a failing crank sensor might cause a bucking sensation before stalling, but not a bucking that clears itself.

what should my next step be? I like to start small/cheap an work my self up the ladder but then again I do not like just throwing parts at a vehicle. That is why I was hoping it could be a sensor because that would be a relatively cheap and easy fix (especially the crankshaft sensor)

No point in wasting a bunch of time or money here.

If the fluid looks good, verify there are no pending codes and the revolution sensor is working to rule them out. If all looks good the CVT is going to have to be opened up here.

Pending codes as in OBD2 codes?

pending codes in the CVT TCM.

I’m assuming that’s something Nissan will have to check? Think my software only scans OBD2 and this sounds different?
you need a higher end scan tool that reads the transmission control module.
What is the revolution sensor and it’s job
There is a primary and secondary revolution speed sensors that detect pulley speeds
Approx what would Nissan charge to hook it up and read the TCM?
Can ‘regular’ shops hook up or is this scanner a Nissan only thing?
Nissan will charge around $100 for the diagnosis.Yes, most regular shops have advanced level scan tools also.