Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cold weather shuts down the suv. Turns over but will not…

Customer Question
Cold weather shuts down the...
Cold weather shuts down the suv. Turns over but will not start unless I get a jump from my battery charger. 2010 exterra automatic. I have a voltmeter
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/27/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 7 months ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Generally when we see this EXACT symptom its due to a bad battery OR bad battery terminals. The fact that it WILL start with a jump indicates that and a voltage drop test will usually confirm it as well.

The engine still cranking OK when it won't start I assume? If so take a blow dryer or heat gun to the IPDM and ECM for a minute and try again and see if it fires up. If so then one of them is bad. i have seen ECU's and IPDM's that fail in cold weather that need replaced also.