Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

No 1st or rev after replacing tranny with a similar tranny…

Customer Question
No 1st or rev...

No 1st or rev after replacing tranny with a similar tranny out of a xterra into a frontier SE that quit after timing belt failuer

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

Belt had about 85k and snapped. the veh was towed without removing the driveshaft- after repair/new belt . Heard a loud thud and veh went into limp mode...installed a tranny out of an xterra and it ran for about 30 miles and it too went again into limp mode

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Frontier?

2000-01, vin has 06 as the month.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes- new distributer, plugs, plug wires, tranny (used) - out of same yr Xterra

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We did try a recommended decode but no success.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
12/25/2017
Nissan Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

A loss of forward and rearward movement is almost certainly an internal transmission failure. It's possible that you could have a drivetrain issue and power isn't being transmitted to the wheels, but that isn't as likely.

With the engine off and trans in park try pushing the vehicle. If you feel a hard mechanical lock then the problem has to be in the transmission, as long as the fluid is full.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Also want to know about how to decode procedure and sequence.

Checking for fault codes? A scan tool is connected to the data link connector. That's not going to be necessary in this case though because an electrical problem cannot cause lack of engagement, only an internal hydraulic or mechanical failure can.